Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Yes,
All is in order.
The folder path is correct, the folder is there, and the exe files (powershell.exe and powershell_ise.exe) are there. I double checked these before I edited the PATH variable.

In 17.1 the changes include:
"Add check in Windows installer for Service Packs and updates that Kodi needs to operate"

I am not a developer, but this is the first program that gives me this error message. It may be that the mechanism that the installer checks for the Service Packs is giving this error.

Just my 2 cents.

Thnx again
(2017-03-23, 22:05)Hoopy Wrote: [ -> ]It may be that the mechanism that the installer checks for the Service Packs is giving this error.

The recently revised installer code, which is here, https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/11796/...120ce22344
shows that if it was the Service Pack check that was not being passed, you would see a different message, namely 'Windows 7 SP1 or above required. Install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and run setup again.'

The check for KB2670838 tries to write to the Windows %TEMP% folder. That might be C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp, where <your name> might be the name of your own Windows account or the name of an admin account. Inside that folder, it tries to create a sub-folder called PS.

If that TEMP folder does not exist, or if it has the wrong permissions for creating and writing files, that could cause the problem.

You could check those points if you are inclined to investigate further. Like you, I have been persevering with this to provide feedback to the community.

In any case, I trust that the person who wrote the recent install code, who has been contributing to this thread, is well aware by now that many different things can go wrong, even for sophisticated users.
(2017-03-23, 21:51)Hoopy Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the reply.
Version 17 is working fine so there is no rush here.

I am posting here to provide feedback to the community.
The previous versions (16.1 and 17.0) installed fine and did not show this error.

Thnx again

Which versions do you have tried? And are they working?
I have tried:
1- the original 17.1 installer

2- KodiSetup-20170323-36abacf83c-fixWinSetupKBKrypton.exe

3- The KodiSetup-20170322-70feef4b9b-debugWinSetupKB.exe

4- The KodiSetup-20170322-37645ec6d2-debugWinSetupKB.exe

As for the
C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp
The PS folder is there.

During installation, a file "ps.ps1" appears in the PS folder. It contains the text "Get-HotFix -Id KB2670838 -ea SilentlyContinue".

Thnx
I had the same problem. The last link worked for me. Though I have not tried the other ones.
Thanks!

working build:
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...rypton.exe
I am out of ideas, Hoopy. Thank you for sticking with it. Rechi may be able to take it further than I can.
Hey Hoopy

Sorry if you've already tried this (I've kind of lost track now of what you have and haven't tried) but have you made sure you can actually run powershell?

i.e. Windows Key + R and actually type powershell into the run box? Obviously make sure it's the run box and not the search box.

I know it's a long shot but just worth making sure before going any further.
I just tried it, the box opens normally.

And what happens if you type "Get-HotFix -Id KB2670838" without the quotes in powershell?
I tried it. After a pause of ~ 10 sec nothing happens..

I have downloaded the file "Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu" earlier and tried to install it but its already installed.

I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>path
PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;C:\Windows\system32

C:\Users\Administrator>
(2017-03-23, 23:41)zqwerty Wrote: [ -> ]I get:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>path
PATH=%SystemRoot%\system32;C:\Windows\system32

C:\Users\Administrator>

That certainly won't work. Update your PATH as described in #49 and #53, and check it looks like this afterwards:

Code:
PATH=C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32​
\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0
Just by the way, at line 364 in the revised installer we find:

RMDir /r "$TEMP\PS"

Throughout my testing this command has failed. That is, the folder in question, created by the installer, has never been removed. That is why I was wondering about create/write/delete permissions at one point.
Hoopy

In your #85, the text in red is Windows saying KB2670838 is not installed. Yet of course when you try to install, the Windows Installer contradicts this.

This suggests to me -- tentatively -- that the error lies in the Windows Update system's records, not in the Kodi installer.

Try going to Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates. Look in the list of updates for Microsoft Windows and see if KB2670838 appears there. It will be sometime after 2013-02-26 when it was first released -- soon after, if you are in the habit of applying Windows updates promptly.

If it is there, and if you are feeling like living a bit dangerously, you could first make a System Restore point and then uninstall that update, then try installing it again. This might have some adverse effects (none that I know of, but this is unknown territory), so you'd proceed at your own risk. The System Restore point ought to undo any bad effects, but it too has been known to fail.
Thanks for the attention, nogginthenog.

However I am not going to tinker with my perfectly (so far as I have known up until now) performing computer's Path Variables.

Up until the moment I tried to install this latest version of Kodi I had no reason to think there was anything wrong with my computer.

I try out many programs from Major Geeks and elsewhere every week and have had very few problems with what must be hundreds of programs over the years, each year.

I repeat, all versions of Kodi except this last latest version have installed with no fuss.

I believe the problem is with the way the errant installer is operating and not my computer. I will just stick with earlier versions of Kodi.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22