Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Twin hdmi out or hdmi splitter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

Hopefully a straight forward question, but cant seem to find it any where documented.

I am planning to get a 4K TV in the next couple of weeks. I also have an av receiver which is hdmi 1.4 only meaning it can not handle 4k.
If I get a say Odroid C2 or any thing similar will I be able to use a hdmi(2.0) splitter and plug one directly to TV and another to av receiver just for audio with out any issues?

I would want audio bitstreamed to my av receiver and video to TV. My source is external hdd with only 1080p movies currently but will contain 4k movies as well.
If this can really work suggest me a sample hdmi splitter that will work with hdmi 2.0 please.
(2017-03-22, 01:06)jramakrishnan Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Hopefully a straight forward question, but cant seem to find it any where documented.

I am planning to get a 4K TV in the next couple of weeks. I also have an av receiver which is hdmi 1.4 only meaning it can not handle 4k.
If I get a say Odroid C2 or any thing similar will I be able to use a hdmi(2.0) splitter and plug one directly to TV and another to av receiver just for audio with out any issues?

I would want audio bitstreamed to my av receiver and video to TV. My source is external hdd with only 1080p movies currently but will contain 4k movies as well.
If this can really work suggest me a sample hdmi splitter that will work with hdmi 2.0 please.

Are you suggesting that you feed your C2 into an HDMI splitter - with one output going to an HDMI 2.0 4K display and one output going to an HDMI 1.4 AVR? If so then that will limit both connections to HDMI 1.4 - as you will need to feed the same signal to both devices, and the amp only supports HDMI 1.4, so that is what the splitter will ask the ODroid to output. (HDMI splitters usually interrogate the EDID of all displays, and work on a lowest common denominator to signal the source). You may as well connect your ODroid to your TV via your AVR - it will do the same thing.

(HDMI carries audio and video in one combined digital signal - the audio is embedded in the video signal in the blanking portions, it isn't carried separately or on separate pins that could be split off. (*))

(*) Ignoring the grafted on ARC (Audio return channel - which sends audio the 'wrong' way down an HDMI cable,
I'd simply connect your C2 to your TV 4K HDMI input (some TV's have dedicated 4K inputs) and get the best possible 4K video negotiated between these devices automatically.

Then i'd connect your AMP HDMI (ARC) output to the TV's HDMI (ARC) input.
Oddly, in this case the TV actually sends audio out via HDMI ARC while the AMP actually receives audio via HDMI ARC, so in this context the terms input and output are somewhat backwards.
If the TV designers had any smarts about them, the TV will actually process the 4K video for local display but send the audio out to your HDMI 1.4 capable amp via HDMI ARC.

But i wouldn't assume anything, so look at the TV manual and/or call the manufacturers TV support desk which should provide some clarification on the subject.

Obviously your other HD video devices, if any, can be directly connected to your AMP should you desire (which will then handle the video switching) otherwise directly connect them to your 4K TV using the HDMI ARC for sound to your AMP.

If the TV designers were not smart, one day someone may make a small box that accepts HDMI 2.0 (video and audio) input and provides HDMI 2 (video) output and another HDMI 1.4 (audio) output (much like some UHD BD players have 2 outputs built in).
Some splitter boxes can manage to work but require turning on your devices in a specific manner (and i suspect, as @noggin suggetsed, you wont really be getting 4K in the process).
Get this instead. https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/15242

Sent from my iPhone
(2017-03-22, 04:49)skylarking Wrote: [ -> ]I'd simply connect your C2 to your TV 4K HDMI input (some TV's have dedicated 4K inputs) and get the best possible 4K video negotiated between these devices automatically.

Then i'd connect your AMP HDMI (ARC) output to the TV's HDMI (ARC) input.
Oddly, in this case the TV actually sends audio out via HDMI ARC while the AMP actually receives audio via HDMI ARC, so in this context the terms input and output are somewhat backwards.
If the TV designers had any smarts about them, the TV will actually process the 4K video for local display but send the audio out to your HDMI 1.4 capable amp via HDMI ARC.

But i wouldn't assume anything, so look at the TV manual and/or call the manufacturers TV support desk which should provide some clarification on the subject.

Obviously your other HD video devices, if any, can be directly connected to your AMP should you desire (which will then handle the video switching) otherwise directly connect them to your 4K TV using the HDMI ARC for sound to your AMP.

If the TV designers were not smart, one day someone may make a small box that accepts HDMI 2.0 (video and audio) input and provides HDMI 2 (video) output and another HDMI 1.4 (audio) output (much like some UHD BD players have 2 outputs built in).
Some splitter boxes can manage to work but require turning on your devices in a specific manner (and i suspect, as @noggin suggetsed, you wont really be getting 4K in the process).

Yes - ARC is an option - but it can only carry SPDIF (i.e. DVD-quality) audio - it maxes out at PCM 2.0/DD (and in some, but not all, cases DTS). You won't get Dolby True HD, DTS HD MA/HRA or PCM multichannel audio over ARC. If that's not an issue - it's a very good solution. However as the OP has an AVR with HDMI - I suspect this may be an issue for them?
it's my case too.

i search splitter with hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 with one input and three output HDMI 2.0 :
-One for TV (video signal)
-One For AV Receiver (for audio)
-One for my futur lightpack 2.0

you have good ref for this ?
(2017-03-22, 02:21)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Are you suggesting that you feed your C2 into an HDMI splitter - with one output going to an HDMI 2.0 4K display and one output going to an HDMI 1.4 AVR? If so then that will limit both connections to HDMI 1.4 - as you will need to feed the same signal to both devices, and the amp only supports HDMI 1.4, so that is what the splitter will ask the ODroid to output. (HDMI splitters usually interrogate the EDID of all displays, and work on a lowest common denominator to signal the source). You may as well connect your ODroid to your TV via your AVR - it will do the same thing.

(HDMI carries audio and video in one combined digital signal - the audio is embedded in the video signal in the blanking portions, it isn't carried separately or on separate pins that could be split off. (*))

(*) Ignoring the grafted on ARC (Audio return channel - which sends audio the 'wrong' way down an HDMI cable,

Didn't realise a splitter will output only the same signal to both :-( Yes, I explored the ARC but it is rudimentary at best and I would like to get DTS HD-MA / Dolby True HD. After being spoilt with HD audio can not think of turning the clock back a few years.
Will a Kaby Lake NUC solve the problem for me? I understand Kabylake NUC has a DP and a HDMI 1.4 out. Can I use the DP to feed directly the 4K TV (with a DP to hdmi coverter) and another hdmi cable from the NUC to feed the audio directly to av-receiver?

Thank you all for your help so far :-) Appreciate it.
(2017-03-22, 22:28)jramakrishnan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-22, 02:21)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Are you suggesting that you feed your C2 into an HDMI splitter - with one output going to an HDMI 2.0 4K display and one output going to an HDMI 1.4 AVR? If so then that will limit both connections to HDMI 1.4 - as you will need to feed the same signal to both devices, and the amp only supports HDMI 1.4, so that is what the splitter will ask the ODroid to output. (HDMI splitters usually interrogate the EDID of all displays, and work on a lowest common denominator to signal the source). You may as well connect your ODroid to your TV via your AVR - it will do the same thing.

Didn't realise a splitter will output only the same signal to both :-( Yes, I explored the ARC but it is rudimentary at best and I would like to get DTS HD-MA / Dolby True HD. After being spoilt with HD audio can not think of turning the clock back a few years.
Will a Kaby Lake NUC solve the problem for me? I understand Kabylake NUC has a DP and a HDMI 1.4 out. Can I use the DP to feed directly the 4K TV (with a DP to hdmi coverter) and another hdmi cable from the NUC to feed the audio directly to av-receiver?

Thank you all for your help so far :-) Appreciate it.

Yes - I believe you can do the dual-output route from a Kaby Lake (or Apollo Lake - which may be more cost effective) with HDMI 1.4 feeding your amp (with HD Audio) and HDMI 2.0 feeding your display. Dual display set-ups are always a bit funky, but I think it should work.

I have a Skylake box with dual video outputs - if I get time this weekend I'll give it a go (I have an HDMI 1.4 amp and an HDMI 2.0 TV - but don't have any need to routinely play UHD content from Kodi at the moment. All my UHD sources are 'Smart TV' in my TV)
noggin Wrote:or Apollo Lake - which may be more cost effective
I thought the Apollo Lake had 1 HDMI 2.0 and no DP. Will check the specs again.

noggin Wrote:if I get time this weekend I'll give it a go
That would be a great help.

noggin Wrote:All my UHD sources are 'Smart TV' in my TV
I understand this. This is just a future proof until I can upgrade my av receiver in say a year or two.
(2017-03-23, 00:22)jramakrishnan Wrote: [ -> ]
noggin Wrote:or Apollo Lake - which may be more cost effective
I thought the Apollo Lake had 1 HDMI 2.0 and no DP. Will check the specs again.

The ASRock J4205-ITX has both HDMI 2.0 and DVI (which is fed from an HDMI output of the SoC - so is HDMI effectively AIUI - and will carry HD Audio?) I believe the Dual Core Celeron equivalent is the same?
What you really want is called an audio extractor. Search "the largest online retailer" for 4k audio extractor. That is what you want.
(2017-03-23, 04:59)albertstroh77 Wrote: [ -> ]What you really want is called an audio extractor. Search "the largest online retailer" for 4k audio extractor. That is what you want.

I had a look - but could only see extractors that output legacy SPDIF Toslink/Coax (i.e. PCM 2.0 or DD/DTS lossy DVD-quality audio) or analogue audio, and were only HDMI passthrough. Most of them seemed to be HDMI 1.4 only - so only handling 2160p up to 30p, not 60p as HDMI 2.0 delivers.

The OP is looking for something that will take an HDMI 2.0 input with 2160/60p AND multichannel PCM, lossless Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA (i.e. Blu-ray-quality lossless audio), and will output HDMI 2.0 carrying the video and HDMI 1.4 carrying the HD audio (i.e. one HDMI input - two outputs), or that will generate both sources in the first instance (like a dual output motherboard)

If you can post a link to a third party HDMI splitter that does this - that would be great.
You're right, I missed that. The vast majority of my super high bit rate audio is 2 channel and I forget. I try and stay away from hdmi, but 2 ch is the minority these days.

I've never used this but it sounds like it might do what you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Awakelio...tter&psc=1

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/NCElec-Switch-Bi-...+2.0&psc=1
You will need a HDMI matrix switch to do what the OP wants. HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 matrix switches are expensive ($400+). You can get a new AVR for the same price! A cheaper option is the HDFury Integral. It can also do what the OP wants: Audio to HDMI 1.4 AVR, 4K Video to HDMI 2.0 TV. However, this doesn't seem to work with all AVRs. So, it is a gamble.
Pages: 1 2