Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: trying to get correct metadata
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Kodi 17.1 on Mac OS 10.12.3

I have a couple of issues that I believe would all be resolved with one fix but I'll get to that after explaining my setup.

I save all of my movies and TV shows to iTunes so everything is a .mp4 format. I like the way that iTunes organizes everything so I would prefer to keep it that way even though I am phasing out of using iTunes. Before I import my movies and TV shows into iTunes I use Subler to embed the metadata (which is retrieved from tvdb.com and tmdb.com) into the media file.

the folder set up after iTunes imports it is as follows;

for movies
[folder]Movies -> [folder] movie title -> [file] movie title
i.e. [folder]Movies -> [folder] back to the future -> [file] back to the future.mp4

for tv shows
[folder]TV Shows -> [folder] tv show title -> [folder] Season # -> [file] episode# episode title
i.e. [folder]TV Shows -> [folder] bates motel -> [folder] Season 1 -> [file] 01 First You Dream, Then You Die.mp4

When I first tried to import these to Kodi Most of my movies showed up in my movies section but not all and some with the wrong information, and none of my tv shows showed up in the tv shows section. however, under the files i could see them all.

after some searching I found that I am having issues with scrapers

so for my tv shows i rearranged the folders to
[folder]TV Shows -> [folder] tv show title -> [file] season s# episode e# episode title
i.e. [folder]TV Shows -> [folder] bates motel -> [file] s01e01 First You Dream, Then You Die.mp4

but i would like to revert back to the old folder setup because the files were only easily renamed that way due to Subler embedding the episode title for iTunes to extract when importing it.

the movies have a few issues. again they have the metadata embedded from tvmd in the .mp4 file.
the 1st issue is some not showing up in my movies section in kodi although viewable in the files section.

the godfather part II is named the same way as the godfather part III, and part III shows up in my movies section while part II does not. there are roughly 150 movies that are not showing up even though iTunes named them after the from the title section from the metadata pulled from tvmd.

the other issue is movies with remakes. both copies of ghostbusters show up as the 2016 version. and my animated beauty and the beast is showing up as the one currently in theaters.

possible fixes

I believe that if I can get Kodi to recognize the embedded metadata all would be ok in my world. however I am not sure if this is possible. setting to use local information only does not read embedded metadata, from what i've read i believe i would need a .nfo file.

I currently have no knowledge of how to create a .nfo file but am sure i can figure that out.

so to summarize does anyone know if it is possible to have kodi recognize embedded metadata? that would be my preferred fix
or is there a way to manually enter metadata in kodi besides creating a .nfo? just so I know all my options

thanks you for any help
I can't give you a good answer for your metadata question. I don't think you'll be able to get Kodi to read the data but I've never tried that, so it's quite possible I'm wrong. Others may have some better info on this.

If you decide to go with nfo's you'll find some info in the wiki.
You might want to do some testing with VIMediaManager which will write the nfo's for you, although I'm not sure how well it will work with your setup. You could test with a few of the movies and tv shows that are giving you problems.
(2017-03-23, 23:38)wgstarks Wrote: [ -> ]I can't give you a good answer for your metadata question. I don't think you'll be able to get Kodi to read the data but I've never tried that, so it's quite possible I'm wrong. Others may have some better info on this.

If you decide to go with nfo's you'll find some info in the wiki.
You might want to do some testing with VIMediaManager which will write the nfo's for you, although I'm not sure how well it will work with your setup. You could test with a few of the movies and tv shows that are giving you problems.

thank you for the info on the .nfo. I'm pretty sure that is not only the way I need to go, but also the way i'll want to go once I sell my macbook and switch to win 7
In that case you may want to explore other media managers. AFAIK ViMM is only available as a mac app.