Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: LG OLED Dropping Dolby Digital Passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help with an odd issue I'm having. Here's what's happening.

I start playing a movie with Dolby Digital sound. For approximately two minutes, everything is fine; however, after that the sound just cuts out. If I disable audio passthrough, then the issue goes away but I'm left with just stereo instead of DD 5.1. The issue seems to be linked to my new TV (LG 2016 OLED) as I wasn't having this issue on my oldTV (Samsung 2012 Plasma) with all the same settings and connections. I even reconnected my old TV to verify that the issue goes away with it, and it did.

I've tried changing a bunch of settings in Kodi and disabling HDMI-CEC on the TV; nothing has worked.

Here's a log file: http://pastebin.com/5rfFNtUA
The audio cut out at 9:39:30.

I'm running Kodi 16.1 on a QNAP TS-251+ NAS connected to the LG TV directly through HDMI. Again the only difference between this setup and the one that works is the TV. I'm guessing that the TV is sending some sort of signal back to the NAS through HDMI, but I can't figure it out.

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Erick
Hi,

I have the same problem, here it is in video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y4rdpoFVyPDXMO9Y2

It is a new LG OLED55B7V, QNAP HS-251+ with KODI.

Have you found a solution?

Regards,
András
For OP, it appears you are using an old version of Kodi (16.1) for some reason?  You problem appears to be linux  - ALSA sound related.  Probably better to ask in linux subforum where folks can help you sort out ALSA.

scott s.
How do you get more than stereo out of a TV anyway?
(2018-03-14, 04:18)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]For OP, it appears you are using an old version of Kodi (16.1) for some reason?  You problem appears to be linux  - ALSA sound related.  Probably better to ask in linux subforum where folks can help you sort out ALSA.

scott s.
 It worked well with my previus TV (9 yrs old Samsung plasma). Yes, it is an old Kodi (14.x), the new Krypton exits (to Qnap HD Station) when I start a video. :-(
(2018-03-14, 07:27)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]How do you get more than stereo out of a TV anyway?
 I connect the TV's optical out to my DTS receiver.
According to your log your audio device is set wrong. If you changed tvs, the device name will have changed.  Of the three detected devices (near the start of the log) the 3rd one looks right.
(2018-03-14, 04:18)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]For OP, it appears you are using an old version of Kodi (16.1) for some reason?  You problem appears to be linux  - ALSA sound related.  Probably better to ask in linux subforum where folks can help you sort out ALSA.

scott s.
Hmmm, it's interesting. I tried my old AppleTV1 with CrystalHD Ubuntu Kodi installation, and the effect is the same. Both device (Qnap and AppleTV) worked well on my old samsung TV, and doing this on my new LG OLED.
Also interesting, that this awful sound sometimes comes 20-30 seconds later after start of playback.
I have ​LG OLED55B7V and with any KODI and audio passthrough AC3 Transcoding on and SPDIF optical out to my Yamaha soundbar, I get audio drops every 10-12-20 minutes.

I do not get audio drops with Apple TV 4K and audio out set to 5.1 Dolby Digital.
Here is an other video (watch with audio!) about the problem. 
When I switch the passthrough output device to an other and back, the problem dissappeare, so I think it is a driver loading problem, but nobody helps... :-(
Same problem on a new version QNAP KODI, and on an old AppleTV CrystalHD KODI.
This is very strange. This problem is a combination of KODI + LG OLED optical sound out.

If I connect my Minix U9-H optical out directly to my soundbar, I have no audio drops with KODI.

If I connect my apple TV 4K to LG OLD TV with HDMI, the optical out of TV has no audio drops with MrMC.

So in summary it only happens with KODI device connected to LG OLED when I use the TV optical sound out.
Connecting directly from Kodi to the sound device is the correct way.

Most TVs have crappy digital audio implementations, although I hear you about MrMC.

LG are usually better than others, as many won't pass anything other than stereo PCM.
Here is what I don't understand. Most soundbars have 1 input. Imagine you have an Apple TV, a KODI box, an nVidia Shield and a TV sat. How are you supposed to manage the sound of 4 devices with a soundbar if not by the TV sound out?
Also you can use a headphone on the TV.

Apple TV has an option to transcode audio to Dolby Digital 5.1 and I never have any audio drops. It's something that has to be pin pointed in KODI. How apple is doing it?

As said, now I'm using an optical out from Minix U9-H to YAMAHA soundbar. Picture and Audio is in perfect sync. Before, it was not in sync when it was from TV to soundbar.

I have only one new "problem". When I connect a headphone directly to Minix U9-H, the audio is not perfectly in sync. If I connect the headphone to TV, it is in sync. Oo

I suppose there is no advanced settings in KODI to delay audio based on output? For example don't touch the optical out but delay only the headphone jack? Is that possible?
No there isn't, but you could create a button mapping on your remote to toggle between two different delay factors.
As you’re using an old kodi version have you perhaps got Sync to Display enabled? if so try disabling it as this could cause audio drops when kodi drops audio packets to maintain a/v sync.
Pages: 1 2