Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Create new profile by copying an existing one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I created a profile and it took some time to customize a lot of settings, e.g. skin, addons, preferences .. now I'd like to add a second profile with same look'n'feel but e.g. with other media sources or restrictions .. it would be helpful, if a new profile could be created with the option to copy settings form another existing profile, so only fine tuning is left for the newly created one ..
when you create a profile, you are asked whether you want to copy settings, and whether you want to copy media sources. it's already there. the only restriction is that the copied profile hardcoded to be the master profile.
Ah, okay, I didn't touch master, so didn't see it .. maybe this limitation could be removed ..
well, master is the default profile you used before you enabled profiles in the first place so you definitely touched it Wink

it could possibly be improved upon but you get into lots of access control issues and such (there are things in those xmls that are private etc) so i chose to tackle the problem by not tackling it. this was 10 years ago and nobody touched this stuff since so it's a bit rough at the edges to put it mildly.
(2017-03-28, 16:47)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]well, master is the default profile you used before you enabled profiles in the first place so you definitely touched it Wink

After starting kodi first time I added a profile and configured it, thought of master like an admin account that I don't use as daily driver Wink

(2017-03-28, 16:47)ironic_monkey Wrote: [ -> ]it could possibly be improved upon but you get into lots of access control issues and such (there are things in those xmls that are private etc) so i chose to tackle the problem by not tackling it. this was 10 years ago and nobody touched this stuff since so it's a bit rough at the edges to put it mildly.

That's a good point !