Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video resolution - xorg.conf problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have managed to get XBMC up and running on Debian stable, on my HTPC, running on Fatal1ty F-I90HD with an onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 1250. It's all connected to a Samsung LCD TV (LE40M61).

Everything looks swell in XBMC console, but when I start video playback, the screen looks like it is split up in 4 boxes, with the video in the upper left box. The colors are greenish/redish. In the other 3 boxes, you can see some of the same video, but it's difficult to see, as it's just junk. It doesn't matter what kind of video I play, it's all the same. I use ATI's own drivers.

I have tried to mess around in xorg.conf, but without luck. See below for my xorg.conf.

Code:
# xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Configured Mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
    HorizSync    28.0 - 64.0
    VertRefresh  43.0 - 60.0
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Generic Video Card"
      Driver      "vesa"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Device     "Generic Video Card"
    Monitor    "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"

Modes    "1280x720"
                Viewport  0 0
                Depth    24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]"
    Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]"
    Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"

Modes   "1280x720"
                Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Can anyone please help me?
Post your xbmc.log and the output of the command 'glxinfo'. Use a nopaste type service for pasting the log.

Edit: Also if possible, post a screenshot of the issue.
ATI Video ?
Please read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=30185&page=3
I solved it by changing ati drivers to the "restricted drivers", video playback is okey then.
When I try to enable the 3D desktop stuff, the playback changes to that weird display.
Thanks for the input. Here's more info.

Screenshot of the problem.

htpc:~# fglrxinfo
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

xbmc.log
I also have the same issue (still).

We seem to have the same card (onboard chip amd690?)
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
OpenGL version string: 2.1.7276 Release

Most people seem to have this working now with either ubuntu restricted or catalyst.
It looks like the texture coordinates of the luminance texture is off. Also interesting the fact that the drivers support GL 2.1 but not the non-power-of-two extension like the GeForce FX series. Will take a look.
I have read about the restricted drivers. However, as I'm pretty new to Linux, I have no idea of how to even locate them (or install them). I'm running on Debian testing with basic Xorg (no Gnome/KDE), and do my things in terminal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of these drivers?

I installed ATI's drivers before I installed XBMC. Do I have to remove these before the restricted drivers are installed?
enrg Wrote:I have read about the restricted drivers. However, as I'm pretty new to Linux, I have no idea of how to even locate them (or install them). I'm running on Debian testing with basic Xorg (no Gnome/KDE), and do my things in terminal.

Can anyone point me in the direction of these drivers?

I installed ATI's drivers before I installed XBMC. Do I have to remove these before the restricted drivers are installed?

Since you are running fglrx you already have "restricted" drivers and it _should_ have worked with that.

Like d4rk said there is something specific with the x1200 card that's causing the weird video output.

Reports say that Catalyst 7.11 and 7.12 at least work for ATI users. Version 8.01 is also available from http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux...adeon.html

I couldn't get opengl to work with the "old" driver in gutsy (which is using the old versioning 8.34) released May 31.
maudib Wrote:Since you are running fglrx you already have "restricted" drivers and it _should_ have worked with that.

Noticed that you had Debian testing and I don't think they have the "restricted" concept tho testing seem to have the latest Catalyst 8.01.
Thanks maudib. I tested older drivers, and when I reached "ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver 8.40.4", the video was correct, however it was slow. Both in XBMC's menus and the video. Like 2 frames per second or something.

I was wondering about a new Geforce card anyway, maybe I'll have to get one sooner than I expected.
You can use a cheap 8500 card and be good to go fanless. You can go down into the 7x series too I believe but the 8500 was like $60 for me from NewEgg. I dorked around with some Intel video but after the smooth experience with NVIDIA went right back to it and skipped the hassle. The MSI card NewEgg sells fanless can also be used low profile which is nice - has an HDMI output too.
Yes, I only use the htpc to video/music, so I'll go for an 8600 or something. Fanless of course Nod
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814127301 A bit higher than I recall but that will do the trick for sure. ENVY will make loading the drivers a breeze.
do the nvidia card also carry audio via hdmi?

I have ati x1200 onboard with hdmi connector that also carries the audio.
Also, the new HD cards from ATI also includes a audio chip on the gfx card to do this..

How is this done with nvidia?
maudib Wrote:do the nvidia card also carry audio via hdmi?

I have ati x1200 onboard with hdmi connector that also carries the audio.
Also, the new HD cards from ATI also includes a audio chip on the gfx card to do this..

How is this done with nvidia?

No audio over HDMI in Linux - thank the vid card manufacturers it seems. However the 8500 card I had could be wired to a SPID/F header on the motherboard. I never tried it but I don't think this would have required any "special" Linux support to make work, just audio out over SPID/F. Likewise the audio chip like you've described on the video card might work since to Linux it's probably just another audio chip. Honestly though it's not 100% clear to me why this doesn't work in Linux I just know that it's been asked and answered as such a few times. <shrug>
Pages: 1 2