Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi freezes randomly - entire system hangs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I would appreciate some help because this issue is slowly driving me nuts.
It is hapenning for months now that Kodi freezes/crashes sometimes during playback.
The problem is that it is pretty random, I cannot produce it at will.

It usually happens once in a few hours of playback. Everything is going fine, I am watching a movie, or TV show from my hard drive and suddenly black screen or the screen freezes and the entire system hangs, I can't do anything, except hard reset.
It is not related to any file specifically, because after reset there is nothing happening I can watch the file with no problems.

Because of the system freeze there is usually nothing in the system or Kodi logs, but last time there was something in it, I uploaded it here: Kodi log

I always suspected the VGA card, but it never crashes in any other program, not even in games, the system is very stable othervise.
I tried it with at least 10 differnet drivers (and tried lots of settings with it) in the last few months to no avail. Sometimes the error doesn't occur for a few days and sometimes it is happening three days in a row (each day once).

My system is:
Kodi 17.1 (The same happened with Kodi 16 too)
CPU: Intel Skylake 6500
Memory: 16 GB
VGA Card: Sapphire AMD R390 8GB
HDD: Western Digital Red 4TB (I watch the movies from here, no NAS or anything network related and it is an internal HDD)
The TV is connected through HDMI to the computer.

I would appreciate some help because I have no idea what is the problem, this whole computer is less than a year old and I never had this problem with my old one.

Thanks!
It would help with a "real" debug.log you have not edited
note" i would shorten some of the movie lines filenames are way to long when you use filename for folder name also
will not solve the problem but just a good idea
It also looks like you have sync to movie or display on, could be the trouble, i never use sync display to movie or vice versa.
Not saying that's the cause but try to run without sync
What do you mean by edited? I have copied it out from appdata\roaming\kodi folder, I haven't edited it. Just pasted it to pastebin.
(2017-04-07, 20:57)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]It also looks like you have sync to movie or display on, could be the trouble, i never use sync display to movie or vice versa.
Not saying that's the cause but try to run without sync

I have adjust display refresh rate: "on start/stop"
And sync playback to display is off.

Should I turn the first one off too?
If your problem is not solved by a log file entry, try this. I had a very similar problem that suddenly showed up out of know where, but only for audio section (Music menu). Turns out it was a conflict with another piece of software that had been recently installed. What I did and recommend you to try VERY CAREFULLY, is go to your Task Manager, under the "Startup" tab, and disable all software that are set to run at boot up time. I don't know which flavor of windows you have, but you'll get there in all version by running "msconfig" in the "run" command input, then choose the "Startup" tab. If you have Windows 7 and lower be especially careful not to fool around the other tabs unless you absolutely know what you're doing. The "Startup" tab is pretty safe enough even for fools. Smile

You might want to log what is enabled and disabled before you start this in case you need to set it back. From what you described I have a hunch this will correct your problem. Of course I could be wrong, that happens to me once in a while. Smile

edit..
oh ya.. reboot before trying Kodi... but I figured you knew that
Thank you I will try this. (I have Windows 10.)

The only problem is that I won't know if it helped for quite a long time, sometimes the error doesn't show up for a week Smile
(2017-04-07, 22:06)PerDegaton Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you I will try this. (I have Windows 10.)

The only problem is that I won't know if it helped for quite a long time, sometimes the error doesn't show up for a week Smile
windows 10,, ah yes... like what you said in your original post... duh!! my bad Smile

if sometimes the error doesn't show up for a week, in that case your windows log file might be more helpful. I can't remember where that is from the top of my head, but nothing google can't reveal to you. In addition to my other post, next time it happens keep track of the date and time, then see if you can find a pattern in the windows log file about on that time. If some software is schedule to run on a periodic term, maybe it's that software that's causing a conflict. I doubt this is Kodi, but don't quote me on that, just by experience, I'm suspecting this is a Windows conflict between Kodi and what ever other program. Kodi usually runs, or it doesn't... emphesis on "usually".
(2017-04-07, 22:51)bidzey Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-07, 22:06)PerDegaton Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you I will try this. (I have Windows 10.)

in that case your windows log file might be more helpful. I can't remember where that is from the top of my head, but nothing google can't reveal to you. In addition to my other post, next time it happens keep track of the date and time, then see if you can find a pattern in the windows log file about on that time. If some software is schedule to run on a periodic term, maybe it's that software that's causing a conflict. I doubt this is Kodi, but don't quote me on that, just by experience, I'm suspecting this is a Windows conflict between Kodi and what ever other program. Kodi usually runs, or it doesn't... emphesis on "usually".

I kept track of the time and there was only one entry in the windows log at that time (The freeze was at 00:12)

Windows event log

It is in hungarian, it means the amdkmdap display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
But of course I couldn't do anything and had to hard reset.
being Hungarian makes me wonder about it's legitimacy. Have you done malware check on your machine lately. One thing for sure, if your display driver crashed and recovered, doesn't mean that Kodi recovered. but this is definitely a problem. I will et the real pros from Kodi to comment on if Kodi as the power to recover. I highly doubt it... (If I understand your last post correctly)
never mind my Hungarian comment, I know what you mean now... maybe this happenned when you were trying different drivers? In any way just try to find a pattern in the next 2-3 weeks. And if you turned off everything at boot up time, it may never happen again, but you should have the legit important stuff boot up too in the task manager. Turn off the stuff that has anything to do with video, and audio for sure.
Ok, I will try itt, thanks!
Have you resolved this issue yet?
I was having a similar issue, but mine was every 5 to 10 seconds. I resolved mine by removing dead repositories. Addons that are no longer working are looking for available updates in the background especially on startup seemed to have hung my Kodi. I run it on Windows 7, 64bit, 16GB RAM. Once I cleaned those dead repo's and addons out, that seemed to have done the job.