Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4:3 ratio incorrect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since updating to Kodi 17, some of my 4:3 movies and shows do not display correctly.

Some 4:3 videos are slightly stretched so the black bars on the sides are narrower than they should be. This makes circles look like ovals.

Some 4:3 videos (as another has described) are smashed horizontally like meat between 2 buns with 2 huge black bars on the top and bottom.

Most 4:3 videos display correctly. All of the videos play correctly with any other player such as VLC Player, MX Player, etc.I have performed two clean installs. get the same results.

If, while playing a problem video, I go to Video settings->View mode and change it from Normal to 4:3 stretch, the video displays properly. However, this has to be done manually each time I watch a 4:3 video that does not display properly.

Is there a way to permanently set 4:3 Stretch as the default for all 4:3 videos without screwing up the playback of 16:9 videos? If not, is there a way to manually set 4:3 Stretch for each individual video so the setting is remembered?

Below are my current settings:

These are the only options for Display 4:3 video as:

Is there a fix for this?

UPDATE: After playing with the settings, I have found that turning off both hardware accelerations seems to fix the 4:3 ratio issue with some of the videos -- maybe all of them but I can't remember all of the ones affected. HOWEVER... disabling hardware acceleration causes playback of some videos to be choppy/laggy. This seems to be the opposite of what most people experience since most of the info around the Internet suggests disabling hardware acceleration to stop buffering. I've already tried turning deinterlacing on and as well as 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video'. I didn't see any difference with either/both settings turned on when HW acceleration was disabled.

The box Kodi is installed on is the MeMoBox MX Max (https://www.amazon.com/MEMOBOX-MX-MAX-Mi...B01EQSPKW4). The videos are on a Windows 2012 file server on the same Gigabit LAN. The Android box is connected via Ethernet, not WiFi.

Is there a solution for this?
a debug log would be most useful.

You might also try one of the nightly android builds. It might already be fixed a recent pull.
I'm having the same issues, every time I play a 4:3 video it stretches with 2 huge black bars, I have to manually
Adjust it every time. I've tried fixing thru player it seems nothing happens.
This only started when i upgraded to krypton 17.1,
Would appreciate some suggestion. Thanking you in advance.