Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android x86
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a HTPC I am looking to convert from Windows to Android. I have created the USB flash drive from ISO, made it bootable, and booted from it on the PC. It booted up, and I was able to setup things fine. Seems to be working properly. I was under the impression that apps not built specifically for x86 still worked for the most part, but they ran under a VM of sorts (like 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows). Is that not correct? I installed Kodi from the Play Store, and it just immediately stops. Can I not use this version? Do I need a version specifically for x86? I saw this page where it seems to have said version: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/x86/ Just want to be sure I have all the facts straight and the best way forward. Thank you!
(2017-04-12, 03:43)mystik Wrote: [ -> ]I have a HTPC I am looking to convert from Windows to Android. I have created the USB flash drive from ISO, made it bootable, and booted from it on the PC. It booted up, and I was able to setup things fine. Seems to be working properly. I was under the impression that apps not built specifically for x86 still worked for the most part, but they ran under a VM of sorts (like 32-bit apps on 64-bit Windows). Is that not correct? I installed Kodi from the Play Store, and it just immediately stops. Can I not use this version? Do I need a version specifically for x86? I saw this page where it seems to have said version: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/x86/ Just want to be sure I have all the facts straight and the best way forward. Thank you!

If your device has an Intel CPU then 99% of the time you will have to use Kodi x86 and the normal Android one won't work.
Other apps seem to still work even if it is the Android ARM instead of X86 versions from Google Play on Intel hardware.
(2017-04-12, 10:21)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]If your device has an Intel CPU then 99% of the time you will have to use Kodi x86 and the normal Android one won't work.
Other apps seem to still work even if it is the Android ARM instead of X86 versions from Google Play on Intel hardware.

Thank you for the reply and comments. Much appreciated.

BTW, are you still using x86 Kodi? If so, is android-x86_64-6.0-r2.iso the one you're using? I have an Intel NUC (D34010WYK). I was going to install it onto a flash drive first before switching the HD over...just to be sure, but that doesn't seem to work out for this combo. When I try to boot it, it just shows Android, but then doesn't actually load after installation.
(2017-04-12, 16:08)mystik Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-12, 10:21)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]If your device has an Intel CPU then 99% of the time you will have to use Kodi x86 and the normal Android one won't work.

Thank you for the reply and comments. Much appreciated.

BTW, are you still using x86 Kodi? If so, is android-x86_64-6.0-r2.iso the one you're using? I have an Intel NUC (D34010WYK). I was going to install it onto a flash drive first before switching the HD over...just to be sure, but that doesn't seem to work out for this combo. When I try to boot it, it just shows Android, but then doesn't actually load after installation. 
Did you ever get it working?  I am interested in doing the same thing.
Why move from crap OS to crapper OS?

Try LIbreELEC, works perfectly on x86.
(2017-12-15, 09:52)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Why move from crap OS to crapper OS?

Try LIbreELEC, works perfectly on x86.
Funny you mention that!  I had LibreElec going, and was very happy with it, but it developed a problem reading from my network I couldn't seem to get sorted.  So, in frustration, I moved back to Windows...which, of course, I hate more...for different reasons.  But, I tried to move back to LibreElec, and it won't install now for some reason.  I can boot fine from the USB, but when I try to actually execute the installation, it shows an error.  I can't remember the exact wording, but it made me think it couldn't find my storage device...even though I had it installed on the same hardware before.  

Really, the only reason why Android is appealing is because it has the ability to also run APKs in addition to Kodi, which can all be navigated easily via remote.
Actually most android software canNOT be easily navigated with a remote (unless you are thinking of one of those awful remotes that emulates a mouse).