Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Own skin not showing up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Soooo I'm trying to start and I'm doing everything by the book. I copied an existing skin (Estuary) from /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary to my local kodi folder where other skins are also located. I gave the folder own name. I edited the addon.xml and changed the name and ID there accordingly.

However, that skin is still not showing up in Kodi in my list of skins after restarting Kodi. What undocumented part am I missing? What other parameters I have to change? What other files/folders I have to copy? Nobody else seems to have this problem since I couldn't find anyone else struggling with this.

Thanks!
You can do one of 2 things .... Assuming you have all the naming correct and the add-on.xml info correct you can can take the the folder skin.myskin. And use 7 zip to zip it up... Then you can install it as if where a normal add-on... That to me is the easiest somethings...... Or if you have the skin copied over to you add-ons folder then in Kodi after a fresh start you can go to my add-ons look and feel find your skin and enable it.

If neither of those work then you have something wrong somewhere else
You'll need to enable it first.
(2017-04-15, 23:21)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]You'll need to enable it first.
This.

Had me pretty stumped too when I first updated to Krypton.

In Estuary go to:
Addons > My Addons > Look and Feel > Skin > Your Skin > Click it to open info/settings > Click Enable.

If its not showing up you might also need to enable unknown sources:
Settings > System Settings > Addons > Unknown Sources
Aaah enable! That's it. Thanks you alot guys, now I can move forward Wink

I'll add it to the wiki in case there's others not that sharp as me, heh
I think this is probably the change brought in with 17. You can't just dump stuff in addons dir. You have to go in and enable each add-on via the GUI. It makes things annoying for 'build' authors.
(2017-04-16, 07:46)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is probably the change brought in with 17. You can't just dump stuff in addons dir. You have to go in and enable each add-on via the GUI. It makes things annoying for 'build' authors.
I'm sure it did for at least 5 minutes.
Now it's just annoying for anyone who doesn't have a workaround.
(2017-04-16, 07:46)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is probably the change brought in with 17. You can't just dump stuff in addons dir. You have to go in and enable each add-on via the GUI. It makes things annoying for 'build' authors.

Yeah right "build" authors, please get it right Nick as it makes it annoying for ANY user of Kodi. This should be removed, why do I have to go and re-enable all existing add-ons when going from Jarvis to Krypton and now Krypton to Leia. Completely disabling everything on an upgrade is wrong! Serves no purpose other than when team kodi members where discussing the imports in addon.xml, this enable is the only thing I see this connected too! Some team kodi members don't like all the imports in addon.xml in some skins so this is the workaround is it? Just switch everything off!
Jeez stop complaining
(2017-04-16, 13:03)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]Jeez stop complaining
Convince people it's a good idea and they won't complain.

Good luck with that.
(2017-04-16, 12:35)Mike_Doc Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah right "build" authors, please get it right Nick as it makes it annoying for ANY user of Kodi. This should be removed, why do I have to go and re-enable all existing add-ons when going from Jarvis to Krypton and now Krypton to Leia. Completely disabling everything on an upgrade is wrong! Serves no purpose other than when team kodi members where discussing the imports in addon.xml, this enable is the only thing I see this connected too! Some team kodi members don't like all the imports in addon.xml in some skins so this is the workaround is it? Just switch everything off!
I am not aware of addons being disabled on upgrade of kodi.
Or you just withhold any comments cause so far there hasn't been any real sensible talk coming from your side.
(2017-04-16, 13:08)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]

Good luck with that.
Or you just withhold any comments cause so far there hasn't been any real sensible talk coming from your side.
(2017-04-16, 13:13)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-16, 13:08)trogggy Wrote: [ -> ]

Good luck with that.
I'll have a go then:

Firstly this 'security measure' isn't stopping builds. They're still available as far as I can see. It might stop / slow incompetent build-makers, so I guess if your objective is to improve the level of builds out there you can call it a win.

Secondly it means anyone who has a problem upgrading and ends up deleting their addons database is left with a bunch of addons that are now not enabled. If you look in eg the windows forum you'll know that's not exactly a rare occurence.
I tried that just now - fairly simple install, a couple of extra skins from the kodi repo which come with a ton of dependencies, and oh great, I can spend the next 5 minutes manually enabling stuff. Lucky I know how to, many won't.

Thirdly it's not exactly hard to circumvent. To the extent that people have been asked by Team members not to post their solutions - so we'll end up with a situation where people using this forum are told 'You can only do it (enable) manually' while people using the places that cannot be named will have a one-click solution. How great is that?

What bothers me about this is that it's a deliberate removal of function - if it happens once why not again... and again...
I don't have to like that.
(2017-04-16, 13:12)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am not aware of addons being disabled on upgrade of kodi.
It definitely happened when I upgraded from Jarvis to Krypton (can't comment for Leia as I haven't used it yet).

When upgrading, any addons that aren't compatible get disabled (so, for instance, any skin with the lower xbmc.gui dependency) -- so even if you then go and update the addon to be compatible, it has already been disabled so you have to then go manually re-enable it. This didn't happen in previous upgrades so it had me a bit stumped when I first went to make my skins Krypton compatible.

To me its not such a big deal, just a little confusing at first. I expect a little bit of setup grunt work when switching major versions of any software. Re-enabling a few add-ons certainly beats having to delete and rescan the entire artwork db like when I went from Eden to Frodo.

EDIT: I definitely think it is confusing that add-ons previously enabled remain disabled even after upgrading them. I think there needs to be some differentiation between previously enabled add-ons that get disabled because a dependency cannot be met (and so should be automatically re-enabled once the dependency is restored) and new add-ons (which I agree should be disabled by default if not installed through the repo).
Pages: 1 2