Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Please help me choose the right Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi….Im currently using Jarvis 16.1 on a Minix that runs Kitkat.

My plan is to get a Nvidia Shield. I will of course be installing Kodi on it but there are some questions I have
so I get the best experience for my needs.

As you all know Shield TV runs Android TV and has limited apps to choose from.

Should I install Krypton from the google play store or side load it?
(I want to update Kodi manually and not have it update automatically, is to true that the play store version does the latter?)

2. Or am I better off installing an android-specific fork of Kodi?

Cheers
Install from the play store. Disable automatic updates.

Install spmc as well - can't hurt, will almost certainly be better.
thanks…just to keep all my amateur questions in one place…..I need to instal an app launcher for side loaded apps…what would you recommend?

functional but aesthetically pleasing too…..

any chance i would be able to make this side launcher my home page or no?
(2017-04-16, 14:39)Autoroam Wrote: [ -> ]Android TV and has limited apps to choose from.

What specific apps are you looking to run on the Shield TV?
(2017-04-16, 14:52)Autoroam Wrote: [ -> ]I need to instal an app launcher for side loaded apps…what would you recommend?
No idea, sorry. I only use android on phones / tablets,never needed more than 1 launcher.
(2017-04-16, 14:54)808? Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-16, 14:39)Autoroam Wrote: [ -> ]Android TV and has limited apps to choose from.

What specific apps are you looking to run on the Shield TV?

apps that don't exist in the google play store
You can sideload any app on the Shied TV, BUT if it does not have controller support you will have to use a mouse. Can be difficult with some games but other apps can be ok with a mouse.