Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Samsung Dex support instructions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi on Samsung Dex fails to support full screen mode.
The link below describes how to add support ☺️

http://developer.samsung.com/samsung-dex/modify

* Key info pasted below

To implement Multi-Window in Samsung DeX

SDK 24 and higher: Apps targeting SDK 24 and higher automatically support Multi-Window as a native feature by default. However, apps operating in Samsung DeX Desktop Mode must still explicitly enable Multi-Window in the Manifest to be run in a Resizable Window.
To enable Multi-Window for Samsung DeX, paste this code into the Manifest:

<application android:resizeableActivity="true"></application>

* Additional info

Mandatory Requirements (Desktop Mode)

Apps must meet these mandatory requirements to open in Desktop Mode.
* 1: Apps must support Android N Multi-Window and explicitly declare android:resizableActivity="true" in the Manifest.
* 2: Apps must support 7 runtime configuration changes and explicitly declare that it meets these conditions in the Manifest with <meta-data android:name="com.samsung.android.keepalive.density" android:value="true"/>
Kodi still requires the app's window decor override to be disabled in order to make it work correctly with Android freeform mode and go into fullscreen mode on DeX.
Please remove the decor override and use immersive mode to fill the screen correctly.

Unfortunately there are apps out there that try to modify the app in order to acheive full screen mode, but they break support outside of DeX desktop mode and cause the system security apps to show Kodi as a security risk.

Also please replace the 'onPause' & 'onResume' methods with 'onStart' & 'onStop'.
These changes will simply enable the application to continue to play content when it is running alongside another appiication. onPause & onResume cause the video playback to stop when you click anywhere outside of the app.
onStart & onStop will only stop playback when the application is out of view (i.e. minimised).
Here is a screenshot of what DeX users are stuck with:

This will be nice!
Hope they fix this soon, but until they do, VLC works pretty good.
This would be outright awesome! Would really love to have native support for DeX on my Note 8 built into the Kodi app instead of hacking my way around it. As Windows keeps getting more and more of an unreliable joke to use, I am moving more and more of my computing tasks (work and entertainment) to my Note 8 from my Surface Pro 2. DeX greatly facilitates this trend of using our Smartphones as our All-in-One Pocket PCs, and the experience just wouldn't be complete without a marvellous app like Kodi.

Please make it happen! Thanks in advance.