Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Updating is a hassle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know who exactly is at fault here, but this is such a bad experience.

I had OpenElec 6 (kodi 15) on my Pi3 and tried to update it to the current version 8 (17).

1) movie db is empty after update. why? (could restore it by renaming the last backup)
2) using the backup worked except for the posters and fanarts, most of them are downloaded again and are now different. why? old thumbnails are still there
3) new skin, looks good at first, but I can't see fanarts anymore, movie text is useless, need more clicks to watch a movie
4) confluence skin is now missing features like the list of movies I started
[5) I learned here I can modify skins, but openelec is a read only fs]
Downgrade or look for a new skin that suits you needs,
Try tian beta from github as it's fully customizable
Just a suggestion
Upgrade should be simple without breaking anything so something must have gone wrong
Quote:1) movie db is empty after update. why? (could restore it by renaming the last backup)

Let's hope this:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...24e5f6d6af

doesn't fuck up things. It normally should only delete 0 byte databases. But maybe something still might be wrong.

Customizing a skin is still possible on OpenELEC. If you have installed an additional skin, it should be located under: /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.<someskinnamehere>/....

depending on the skin you have installed, there are several subforlder and you are able to edit everything in there. If you want to modify the default skin, just make a full copy of the default skin, which is located under: /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary
and copy it to: /storage/.kodi/addons/

probably like this:

Code:
mkdir -p /storage/kodi/addons/skin.mynewskin
cp -R /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin-estuary/ /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.mynewskin/

then edit the addons.xml file at "mynewskin" to name the skin differently in it (probably "myestuarymod"). Then you are able to select that skin from the Kodi GUI and you are able to modify the skin as you like to have it.