Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI Audio/1080P Playback on 112-CK-NF77-A1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I know these are more of Ubuntu questions, but I saw a good amount of posts with people that had this mobo 7150/630i chipset and said they have everything working I had some questions for them. It is an excellent choice for a mobo IMO with the onboard GFX and HDMI/Optical Audio port. (Specs in Sig)

Firstly, I am unable to get the HDMI Audio to work. I can get it through the optical and through the digital out (mini) however never able to get sound through the HDMI port. It's enabled in the BIOS. Has anyone got this working?

Secondly, 1080P mkv's, I seem to get glitchy playback when I have the XBMC resolution set to 1080P. They will play fine when I am running XBMC at 720p. Also I can play 720p mkv's at the 1080P resolution without any stutter. Is this just a lack of GFX power? My CPU usage while playing these 1080P vids is less than 50% so it's not that I don't think. Does anyone play these vids without any issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I do have it functional, but these things would make it a perfect Media Center.
I have the mobo but don't use HDMI, sorry.

Glitchy how, exactly? 1080p video works fine for me with my res set to 1920x1080/desktop.

Make sure you're running the 1.6 BIOS too.
Glitchy - It runs a little slow and often gets out of sync audio that eventually catches up with itself. Maybe it is only with HDMI.

Running the latest BIOS.

I check around in some forums, apparently it is a known bug in ALSA and the kernel to get HDMI audio working. If anyone has it working, let me know otherwise I'll just stick with non HDMI audio.
Not a bug. Alsa only recently added support for audio over hdmi for "some" hardware. You can check the Alsa mailing list to see if yours is supported yet but I wouldnt expect audio over hdmi in linux just yet, just use the optical digital audio out like you said.
Nick8888 Wrote:Not a bug. Alsa only recently added support for audio over hdmi for "some" hardware. You can check the Alsa mailing list to see if yours is supported yet but I wouldnt expect audio over hdmi in linux just yet, just use the optical digital audio out like you said.

Curious and since you seem to have been paying attention to it... I've been told that SPID/f doesn't have the bandwidth for some of the upper end surround sound encodings, does HDMI? Is the sound out over HDMI significantly different somehow than via coax or optical?:confused2: I've been pretty happy with what I've gotten via coax so far but cannot help but wonder... <shrug>
BLKMGK Wrote:I've been told that SPID/f doesn't have the bandwidth for some of the upper end surround sound encodings, does HDMI?

Unless you need to transmit TrueHD content, you're good to go with either TOSLINK of SPDIF. HDMI, that too HDMI 1.3, matters only if you're concerned about untranscoded TrueHD.
d4rk Wrote:Unless you need to transmit TrueHD content, you're good to go with either TOSLINK of SPDIF. HDMI, that too HDMI 1.3, matters only if you're concerned about untranscoded TrueHD.

Well now that ffmpeg can fully decode TrueHD and is very close to decoding E-AC3 I think more and more people might start needing support for these formats. As soon as a motherboard that has confirmed 8 channel LPCM output over HDMI in Linux, I am running out to buy it. Currently, only the G35 chipset can do this (windows only currently), and the upcoming Geforce 8200/8300 IGP series.

One extremely interesting thing to note is the fact that we might see bitstream passthrough of DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD in linux before windows. Manufacturers won't be allowing bitstream transporting in windows until HDMI is provides a fully protected path (not soon). In Linux we won't have that restriction, all that should be required is a chipset that can do HDMI audio, and then getting some dev support to get the passthrough working (which I wouldn't think is too hard, especially as decoding support for TrueHD/E-AC3 is essentially ready).
Those questions really belong over at the ALSA project (alsa-user mailing-list)
Gamester17, You are right. I'm talking to a few of the devs right now. Apparently, they do have 2 channel HDMI audio working one some boards, however, as SPDIF never supported anything over 2 channel LPCM, there is no support in Alsa, yet.

Dustin
I have a G35 based board and while it's great that it has HDMI the video is nothing to write home about. I will admit I didn't put nearly the effort into getting video drivers and whatnot working on it as I could have but the NVIDIA stuff is EASY by comparison. Check out the AVS Forum thread on my board to see all of the weirdness that they are having in WINDOWS with almost no one doing much in Linux it seems.

I will say I'm nto sure audio is working right on my system even over coax with passthrough turned on. That EAC3 may get decoded soon is terrific news as I'd like to stop using FLAC or AC3 myself if it can be output over coax. No issues with my TIVO getting Dolby Digital but mostly I see Pro-Logic or THX when I use XBMC on Linux and I'm not sure why. Either my setup or my transcoding from HD-DVD. <sigh> Being able to play decrypted EVO directly, now THAT would rock!