Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hifiberry Digi+ on Kodi 17.1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, everyone. My configuration was:
Raspberry Pi 3
Hifiberry DIGI+
Raspbian
Kodi 15.2

I have recently upgrade Kodi to version 17.1, but now it doesn't recognize the Hifiberry anymore. I can't enable passthrough audio.
Audio device options are:
PI: HDMI
PI: Analogue
PI: HDMI and Analogue
ALSA: Playback/recording through the PulseAduio sound server
ALSA: PulseAudio Sound Server

When Kodi 15.2 was installed the selected audio device was snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi S/PDIF.

Any ideas how to enable it in this new version of Kodi?

Thank you!
Whats your kernel version?
Configure pulseaudio externally or just remove it, things wil work like before.
Make sure you have all Raspbian Jessie updates installed
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
(rpi-update is optional)

Passthrough on the Hifiberry Digi requires a proper Alsa configuration. The Alsa cards conf file was added some time ago in Raspbian. Without the updates you won't get passthrough in Kodi.

so long,

Hias
(2017-04-24, 22:00)ileenback Wrote: [ -> ]Whats your kernel version?

Linux raspberrypi 4.4.50-v7+ #970 SMP Mon Feb 20 19:18:29 GMT 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux
(2017-04-24, 22:01)rascas Wrote: [ -> ]Configure pulseaudio externally or just remove it, things wil work like before.

It worked.

Thank you!
Hi, everyone. My configuration is:
Raspberry Pi 3
Hifiberry DIGI+
Openelec 8.0.3 which I just installed.

Openelec 8.0.3 has Kodi version 17.1 which doesn't recognize the Hifiberry Digi+ sound card
(aplay -l results in: aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...).

The only Kodi Audio device options are:
PI: HDMI
PI: Analogue
PI: HDMI and Analogue
PULSE: Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO)

Could someone provide instructions concerning which programs to run or files to edit in order to remove pulseaudio?
Maybe this would solve the missing Hifiberry digi+ audio options problems.

Thank you!
In general to use audio HATs you need to add a line to config.txt like:
Code:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi
@popcornmix

Thank you for your answer,
but I already added that to /flash/config.txt (after remounting /flash as read/write :-)
Some suggested further adding dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt and dtdebug=1 but that too does not help.

Further attempts which do not solve the problem were to add a file /storage/.config/modules-load.d/hifiberry.conf containing:
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_wm8804
snd_soc_hifiberry_digi
but this too did not help....

The one thing I have not yet managed to do is getting rid of pulseaudio in favour of ALSA...

Many Thanks!
(2017-05-07, 16:05)EssefBeh Wrote: [ -> ]Openelec 8.0.3 has Kodi version 17.1 which doesn't recognize the Hifiberry Digi+ sound card
(aplay -l results in: aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found...).
I haven't tested myself but from what I've read so far this issue seems to be specific to OpenELEC.

Could you test if this works with LibreELEC?
https://libreelec.tv/

so long,

Hias
@Hias

Thank you for your answer.
I took me some time, but I have now installed LibreElec instead and (with "dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi" added to config.txt) the sound card appears, can be selected and works!

I was confused by OpenElec describing their version 8.0.3 as "stable" when in fact it appears to be the buggy "testing" version while LibreElec is "stable".
For a newcomer the relationship between LibreElec and OpenElec is somewhat unclear.
I have exactly the same problem with the HifiBerry Digi with LibreElec: no sound coming from SP/DIF through ALSA

Some suggest to disable PulseAudio completely to get the digital out to work on the HifiBerry, but I cannot find the instructions on how to disable PulseAudio on LibreElec.
Can anyone help this pitiful noob?

Thanks
Peter

(2017-05-07, 16:05)EssefBeh Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't tested myself but from what I've read so far this issue seems to be specific to OpenELEC.

Could you test if this works with LibreELEC?
https://libreelec.tv/

so long,

Hias
@SlimPvC

Did you carry out the suggestion in post #8 (i.e. adding the line dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi to the file config.txt)?
It is necessary.
The path to the file config.txt is /flash/config.txt and /flash is usually mounted as read-only, so you have to remount /flash as read/write to be able to edit /flash/config.txt

PS Something went wrong with your quote which combines my name with the text of HiassofT post at #10
I should've mentioned that I added that line to config.txt. Instructions to do so were easy to find.
I can see the ALSA output in Kodi settings. and I can select them as output, but there's no sound from the optical or the coax output..
I only get sound through HDMI (which is standard RPi, not HifiBerry)

(2017-09-03, 14:13)EssefBeh Wrote: [ -> ]PS Something went wrong with your quote which combines my name with the text of HiassofT post at #10

Sorry for this mix-up