Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How _not_ to disable the screensaver?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm finding lots and lots of threads about preventing the screen from turning off, but I want to do exactly the opposite: _Not_ to disable XScreensaver while Kodi is running.

The reason is that I'd like to run Kodi in the background on a normal desktop system, and it resetting xprintidle's idle counter (which wraps XScreensaver libraries) every 5s is preventing the system from power saving. I already have a script that handles suspending the screensaver during media playback, I don't need anything else that does so - especially when it also does it while not actually playing any media and just sitting in a menu.

So, any way to disable this behavior? Paradoxically, it actually continues while Kodi enables its own screensaver, and I can't find anything else relating to the issue due to the volume of threads trying to do the opposite. Otherwise, this is a complete dealbreaker for me.

(Or if someone here knows the code well - would this be easily patchable? Is Kodi hard to compile?)
What is the point of running in the background? How do you watch video?
... by switching the window?
setting https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...n.cpp#L702 to true might do the trick.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...#L455-L472 is the code that resets xscreensaver
Thank you! So this only happens when it's in fullscreen, that's great to know. Although I'm now even more confused - are there two fullscreen settings that are independent from each other, one toggled with \ and one from the System -> Display menu? Because when in Windowed mode, with \ I can switch between the resolution there being listed as "Windowed" or "1920x1080" (both grayed out), and in Fullscreen mode, I can switch between "1920x1080" (selectable) and "Windowed" (grayed out). Only when the resolution is displayed as "Windowed", the reset doesn't occur. One would expect \ to simply toggle the mode setting in that menu. Combine that with a third fullscreen / windowed setting from the WM and I'm not very surprised some of these combinations result in a crash as I reported yesterday.