Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Networking issues???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am not sure if this is the correct place for a networking issue so MODS if i am wrong I am sorry.

This has been a brain teaser for me for a while now and I hope someone here can give me some insight.

CONFIG:
R7000 Nighthawk router
N700 Modem (comcast internet)
Synology NAS
3x Chromebox running OPENELEC
-2x on wifi
-1x wired
various other network items.. ie PS4 laptop PC ...

ISSUES:
1. Comcast internet sucks.. i am experiencing about 70% up-time with random periodicity and longevity. I don't really expect any idea's on this one. Its more of a battle between Comcast and I.

2. This issue has only shown itself since issue 1 (since I moved here) When the internet is down.. (request timed out on a ping to google.com) the rest of my LAN connections are significantly slower. Somewhere in the 25Kb/s range. Too slow for any content except music but even that is sluggish. This problem is present on all of my devices wireless and wired connections. Issue 1 mostly occurs after 2pm and before 10pm. right when i want to watch tv.

3. When rebooting Openelec sometimes it halts boot process. It stops sometimes with a mouse pointer in the top left after a KODI splash screen. Sometimes it is just a black screen before the KODI splash screen. This started after updating to Openelec 8.0.0. I don't have any logs for this issue as i am mainly concerned with Issues 1 and 2 to start with.

Thank you for reading my long winded questions.
Justin
What does this have to do with Kodi other than causing it the same problems as anything else on your network?

Post it on a Comcast forum or ring their support lines and shout at them. This isn't a general issues board for anything computer related...

That moved to off topic
O sorry one detail i left out.. if i shut down all kodi chromeboxes normal network speeds return. I figured it was something to do with that installation.
Try libreelec.
I tried libreelec once and found that the wifi in chromebox wasn't supported so i shifted back to Openelec
so i did some more digging. I opened cmd prompts with a ping going with the -t option to make it continually ping all of my KODI installations, PS4, my server and the internet.

1 when internet fails pings to a wired or wireless KODI install playing a video and my server all show greater than 2000ms time.

2 when you stop the video pings times decrease to normal speed

3 internet is online all pings to all locations are 2ms or less

4 pings to PS4 is always less than 2ms

5 if internet is down and i turn off my router ping speeds decrease to normal speed.

I am using SMB protocol to access the server which i used successfully when i had no internet connection at all. (before comcast). I am using static IP for the NAS and using IP addresses instead of requiring DNS lookup in each KODI sources XML
Go back to Libreelec, openelec is dead and gone.
You need to do some packet sniffing perhaps.
Openelec is dead and gone? I just installed 8.0.2 that was released on the 22nd. Why do you say it's dead?

How does one go about packet sniffing?
All the oe devs except one left.

http://bfy.tw/BVrq