Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Force Kodi to passthrough DTS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I have an issue with DTS sound on movies.
Here is the setup I have:
Sony Bravia TV with Android --> HDMI with ARC connect --> Yamaha RX-V775 --> HDMI connect --> Surface Pro (first generation)

Now, when I start the Surface with this connection setup the sound device inside windows points to the Sony TV. However it appears that Kodi thinks that the TV cannot understand DTS, so the passthrough option for DTS is not visible. When I switch off the TV the sound device in windows changes to my Yamaha receiver and Kodi shows the DTS option. When using a different media player the sound sent to the receiver (even with the TV on) is proper DTS HD, so basically the setup does work. However when using Kodi the receiver only gets DTS.

I am simply at a loss as to what I might need to change in order to get this to work the way I want it. Is there a way to force Kodi to always pass through all sound no matter what? Or does anybody have a suggestion on what to change in the setup? Using Kodi on the TV is not an option, DTS doesn't properly work in Kodi there either and the normal video player on the TV cannot properly handle 20:9 videos without stretching them to 16:9 (a know bug in Sony TVs apparently)

I tried searching for a solution but honestly I am no sure what to search for exactly and there are so many different DTS issues that it's hard to find anything specific.

Ah damit, just saw that this is posted in the wrong forum. Sorry got confused about the lock icon in the 'General Support' forum. Could an moderator please move the post to the Windows support forum?

Again sorry Sad
ARC is limited to 2 pcm channels, so only DTS for you as long as you use it via ARC. It's mainly a "legacy SPDIF compatible" connection.
Are you absolutely sure the Sony TV does DTS? have you connected the Surface Pro direct to TV to confirm?

If so and Surface Pro works ok directly connected to TV then what you have is an edid problem, so to resolve this you need to override the the edid info sent over hdmi, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=251833 for how to do this.
But it doesn't go through ARC. It goes from the Surface to the Receiver and only then it moves to the TV, but ONLY the video should go through. The Audio should stay in the receiver
(2017-04-30, 21:23)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Are you absolutely sure the Sony TV does DTS? have you connected the Surface Pro direct to TV to confirm?

If so and Surface Pro works ok directly connected to TV then what you have is an edid problem, so to resolve this you need to override the the edid info sent over hdmi, see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=251833 for how to do this.

I can play movies from the sonys video player and it does end up as DTS-HD on my receiver, so I would say it can do the passthrough. But even if the TV cannot, that's the whole point! I don't want the sound to be processed by the TV at all. That's what my receiver is for, all I want is the picture on the TV.

I finally got a solution that works, sadly not with Kodi. I installed the LAV codecs and set MP-C to use them. In that case I get the picture on the TV and the sound properly processed by the receiver. (DTS, DTS-HD. DTS Master 7.1... so far everything I tried worked)
I would prefer to use Kodi for this since the GUI is so much more comfortable to use from the couch, but I don't see how I can get Kodi to simply passthrough all sound to my receiver Sad As soon as the TV is activated Kodi simply hides the options. (And even with the TV off it doesn't show me all passthrough options...)