Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi just used 235GB of data while I was gone for the day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Came back home to a notice of exceeding my bandwidth allowance. I opened up my network usage and saw kodi pulling down about 2mbit/sec from akamai.net before I closed it. I wasn't streaming anything and it was just showing the screen saver.
Akamai is a content delivery system, which is used by many, many different companies. Akamai itself does nothing but provide a platform and delivery service.

Most likely you have some add-ons installed that have been accessing the net in the background. That's the trouble with unofficial Kodi add-ons, you just never know what they get upto in the background.

Why don't you post a debug log, and maybe some of the experienced users may be able to spot something... but I have a feeling your post may immediately be sent to the bin for breaching the forum rules. See here... http://kodi.wiki/view/Banned_Add-ons

If you don't have any of these installed, post your debug log. If you do... well Kodi is not your issue.
No unofficial addons. Just the basic ones like youtube and some meta data ones.

I didn't have debugging enabled before it happened and it hasn't happened since.

Kodi 17.1
Windows 10
64 Bit
32GB ram
Ok, understood.

How do you know it was Kodi then?

Maybe Windows update? or another program on your computer?
I opened up resource monitor and saw kodi transferring the data.
You have some screensaver installed?
(2017-05-01, 07:15)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]You have some screensaver installed?

Just the default one that's the Apple clone.
(2017-05-01, 18:49)blahyawnblah Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-05-01, 07:15)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]You have some screensaver installed?

Just the default one that's the Apple clone.

First that's not the default at all.
Second it will burn a shitload of data as it continuously streams those videos. Go to it's settings to download the videos.
(2017-05-01, 18:51)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]First that's not the default at all.
Second it will burn a shitload of data as it continuously streams those videos. Go to it's settings to download the videos.

It's not? Guess I wasn't paying attention when I enabled it. Good to know. Thanks.
(2017-05-01, 05:06)blahyawnblah Wrote: [ -> ]Came back home to a notice of exceeding my bandwidth allowance. I opened up my network usage and saw kodi pulling down about 2mbit/sec from akamai.net before I closed it. I wasn't streaming anything and it was just showing the screen saver.

2 mbit/s = 0.00025 gb/s = 0.015gb/min = 0.9gb/hr = 21.6gb/24hr day

If you pulled a whopping 235gb (0.2TB) while you were gone for part of the day, Kodi streaming screensaver videos at 2mbit/s is not your source.

Assuming the 235gb was over a 24 hour day, that's 24mbit/s. If it was over 8 hours, that's 72mb/s. That's a fully saturated network connection all day long.

Cheers
TRJB