Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: external hard drive not showing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i hooked up a external hard drive from my lap top with all my music and photos but my android box will not show it, what do i need to do to correct this?
(2017-05-04, 02:37)tenbanger Wrote: [ -> ]i hooked up a external hard drive from my lap top with all my music and photos but my android box will not show it, what do i need to do to correct this?

Examines your problem and i have some potential solution who assist you.

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/4..._usb_port/
first of all thank you johnrex for taking your time to help me. the people in this forum is great. i only have a 1 tb hard drive and it has a window operating system on it now and it may be windows 8. are they saying i need to format the hard drive to another system before my android box will show it. as most people most likely do i am trying to keep my music and pictures and movies on this hard drive and get access to it thru my mecool pro android box. ( i only put my box type thought it may help you solve my problem ) again thank you so much for helping me.
I just Bought 3 Android G-Boxes and i Bought 3   1TB External Hard drives  i i plugged them in my three G-Boxes but when i go to storge its shows external drive but it says not connected please help been on this for 4 days dont have an answer ,.
Thanks
(2018-08-10, 17:28)Mr Special Wrote: [ -> ]when i go to storge its shows external drive but it says not connected
You are barging into an old thread. It's better to simply create your own problem thread next time.

Your external harddrives... Which disk format do they have? NTFS, FAT32, exFAT, something else?
Connect them with a Windows PC and have them checked for any disk errors. Also make sure you correctly eject/unmount/disconnect your drives and fully close your Windows session, that means no sleep or hibernation modes. Linux (Android is a Linux variant) can be picky with drives that have errors. It will then not mount disks for their own protection.

P.S.: if you are going to use your external HDD's with Android (Linux) only, formatting them using the native Linux EXT4 format is preferable.
Hey… you might be facing the external hard drive not showing up error due to the poor connection between your external hard drive and system. To solve this issue, you need first, use the new cable to connect your hard drive or try to use an original cable to join the hard drive to your PC.
(2020-11-25, 07:42)alexwaston123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey…

Hey yourself... Why are you reacting to a forum thread that is over 2 years old?

Apparently you just copy/pasted some loosely found text from another website into our forum.
We call that spamming. Don't try it again or your account will disappear just a quickly as it was created.
(2020-11-25, 10:44)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-11-25, 07:42)alexwaston123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey…

Hey yourself... Why are you reacting to a forum thread that is over 2 years old?

Apparently you just copy/pasted some loosely found text from another website into our forum.
We call that spamming. Don't try it again or your account will disappear just a quickly as it was created.
Yes, I know that this thread is several years old, but it is the second Google result that pops up when you search "hard drive is not showing up in android" which makes this thread 'currently' relevant to those who click on that Google link. And being that this thread offers little to no resolution to the problem, I will post it now. So if you have a drive that will not show up in KODI running on an Android box, this might be your solution. This glitch will also make the drive readable in Lenux but not writable ( no renaming, deleting etc, of files or folders on the drive).

The most common reason (in my experience) is Windows 10. In windows 10 it has a feature called 'fast start up' which affects drives (USB etc.) connected to it. to resolve this plug the USB drive back into the windows 10 computer. then next to Windows START Icon in the search box type and select POWER & SLEEP SETTINGS, then near the bottom of the page click on ADDITIONAL POWER SETTINGS, then on the left click on CHOOSE WHAT THE POWER BUTTON DOES, now click on CHANGE SETTINGS THAT ARE CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. now uncheck where it says TURN ON FAST START UP and click SAVE CHANGES. Now shut down windows and unplug the USB drive. This will also resolve this problem form the hard drives on computers that are dual boot between Windows 10 and Linux.

You can now access the USB drive in both Android and in Linux, and of course KODI on either.