Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SPMC OR KODI for Mi Box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After HOURS of reading reviews, browsing these forums, and wavering back and forth till my head was gonna split....I just purchased a Xiaomi Mi Box ( I have owned China boxes before this). My question is.....what platform do I use? I have read SEVERAL times that Kodi does not operate well on it...but others now state that it has been updated , and now is "not a bad setup for the Mi Box". I have always seen that Android boxes should go with the SPMC platform as it is made for Android, and I have done ok with SPMC.....but I also see people saying it doesn't have all the capabilities that Kodi does. So.....experts.....which one should I install on the Mi Box?

Side question...I am not sure I trust the Google Play version of Kodi. It just seems that it would be very limited since it is a licensed version. Am I off about that?
Why not install both and make your own mind up? They can be installed side by side given SPMC is a fork.

Also, the Google Play version of Kodi is the same install as the one you'd get from the kodi.tv website, what makes you think it would be different? What do you mean by "it would be very limited"?
Any time an app becomes "licensed" it has been altered to be "approved" by what ever governing body that licensed it. I just wondered if the google play version had been restricted in anyway. Regarding live tv streams or anything else. You are dealing with channels from all around the world, so you never know.

And obviously I could load them both and fight through them for a few hours each to draw a conclusion.....but why would I not ask a group of people who have possibly already tried one or both of these platforms, and may have some knowledge to pass on to me from their experience? Is that not what forums are forHuh??
Kodi is not "licensed", the version on the Play Store is the exact same version you get here. There is exactly ZERO difference.

Where ever you are getting your information it is wrong.
I suspect confusion lies in the fact that the Mi Box is both a Netflix Approved Box and also comes with a properly licensed version of Android TV which gives you some Chromecasting and Google Movies/TV options over unlicensed ATV boxes.

SPMC (Jarvis) has the capability to do Android TV Voice searching of a scraped media library that Kodi Krypton is missing.
SPMC also has more Hardware (video) acceleration options, more software deinterlacing options and an easier to configure MySQL Kodi settings section.

Install both from the Playstore and play around with them.

Warning, do not install the Bloatware, Adware, Annoyingware App - ES File Explorer. - easily the worst file manager in the Playstore now. Use X-Plore instead.
(2017-05-11, 02:35)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]SPMC (Jarvis) has the capability to do Android TV Voice searching of a scraped media library that Kodi Krypton is missing. .

Except for v18 (Lisa) which can do this also. Wink
I want Kodi v18 Leia to start up with a Lightsabre animation carving and burning the Kodi words and Logo into raw glinting steel !

Now that would be really something ! Wink
Which Kodi 18 version is nice for android? The latest version nightly?
Yes, if you're going to install a nightly always use the latest. Just keep in mind that v18 is still pre-Alpha and although I run it on my Shields and find it works pretty well you may have issues. So make sure you backup your​ Kodi data in case you need to rollback.
(2017-05-11, 14:40)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, if you're going to install a nightly always use the latest. Just keep in mind that v18 is still pre-Alpha and although I run it on my Shields and find it works pretty well you may have issues. So make sure you backup your​ Kodi data in case you need to rollback.

Hi Tinwarble and Wrxtasy, do you have this issue in your Kodi Leia on Mibox 3 as well?

I just installed kodi 18 leia alpha Android ARM version Kodi-20170511-492ab06-master-armeabi-v7a.apk. Then I found all the video files (mp4 h.264 format) on my HDD bigger than 2GB can not be played any more. When I select video bigger than 2GB, Kodi lost response, then I choose other video bigger than 2GB, a warn message box appeared and tell me the file can not be played. If I choose a file size below 2GB, It was played normally. In File Manager I saw the file with size bigger than 2 GB shown with a - (minus) xxxxxxxxxx B. Back to Kodi Krypton 17.1 all files played well.
You are using very early Alpha status software - there are bound to be lots of bugs and issues.
I'm not even using Kodi 18 on the Mi Box.

Use SPMC if you want Voice search.
Sorry but you are on your own....