Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help - Mkv files playback looks scrambled and kaliedoscopic!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just took a photo of how this mkv file is playing in Kodi (Krypton stable) on my Amazon Fire TV.

Why on earth is this happening and does anyone know how to fix it? The only similar issue I've found on these forums involved changing someone's Nvidia settings on their computer, which doesn't apply here as it's on my Amazon Fire TV (Gen 2).

Here's the backstory:

These are mkv files I have ripped from my own DVDs. I'm no video master, so perhaps I've done something wrong, but I just used the default settings in DVDFab to export it to mkv (H.264). The frame height is 720x552, Data rate 1020kbps and total bitrate 1212kbps. Frame rate is 25 frames per second.

As you can see subtitles are playing fine, and the audio is fine too.

The files play perfectly in VLC on my computer.

Can I (hopefully) fix this within Kodi, or will I have to rip all the files again?
Thank you for any advice!
No Debug Log no issue
My apologies - I have followed your walkthrough and here is the log:

https://paste.ubuntu.com/24631303/

To help you search for the file, look for: Blackadder/Series 02 - Blackadder II

Thank you!
Just an update - I tried playing some other mkv files, and they worked fine.
It just seems to be these ones not working.
Can anyone gain any knowledge from the log - or should I just cut my losses and rip the DVDs again - this time to mp4?
Quote:Stream #0:0: Video: hevc (Main), yuv420p(tv), 720x552 [SAR 1:1 DAR 30:23], 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 25 tbc (default)

Retry to rip them as h264.
Thanks for your reply!

I thought I had ripped them as h264 - can you let me know what I had actually ripped them as?
HEVC aka h.265
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for the clarification.
I see I will have to re-rip the files, but I'm glad I know what to avoid in the future. Thank you for the help Smile