Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot persist subtitles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know that this issue has been discussed many times but I couldn't find out why it's not working for me. I'm trying to have subtitles persist once I download them (so I don't have to download them again when I want to watch another time).

In Settings I've got it set to save subtitles next to the video. The video folder is owned by 'kodi' user and when I download them I can see them appear correctly in the video folder but after a second or so the file disappears again.

When I set Custom subtitle folder in the Settings I'm getting "Cannot download subtitles" error every time I try to download any subtitles. It's not a problem with privileges - again the custom folder is owned and writable by 'kodi' user.

I'm using Raspbian and repo Kodi 17.1.

Any ideas?
Sounds more like your subtitle add-on isn't working. Which one are you using? Also a debug log (wiki) is needed.
If you see the file appear in the folder it is no issue with the addon.

Are you using any program to download your movies. Something in the line of couchtomato or similar? If that's the case, check if in that program you have some "cleanup" options that delete files not related to the movie...

Apart from that, no clue on what might be the issue.
This is from the log:

22:41:39.043 T:2543289264 INFO: CPythonInvoker(189, /home/kodi/.kodi/addons/service.subtitles.subscene/service.py): script successfully run
22:41:39.050 T:2915038128 DEBUG: OnDownloadComplete - Saving subtitle special://temp/somesubtitle.srt to /media/usb0/somefolder/somesubtitle.srt
22:41:39.067 T:2915038128 ERROR: Copy - Failed write to file /media/usb0/somefolder/somesubtitle.srt
22:41:39.077 T:2915038128 WARNING: OnDownloadComplete - Saving of subtitle special://temp/somesubtitle.srt to /media/usb0/somefolder/somesubtitle.srt failed. Falling back to special://temp

It doesn't tell much. I'm pretty sure it's not an permission issue, all the folders in the path are 777. It's not insufficient space either. Not sure what else could it be?

I'm not using any program to download the movies, I move them there manually.
partial logs are useless
logs inline in the forum are banned
use pastebin
post a full log
On what operation system are you on and what version?
This seems like the Android 5 and 6 permissions issue not being able to write outside the app folder.
I'm running Rasbian 8.0.
I do not know if this IO for Raspberry also has this issue. Guessed you had Android 5 or higher so that I could help you.

In Android you can only write in the app's own created folders. These folders get created on internal and all external storage after the app, such as Kodi, gets installed.
(2017-06-10, 10:15)tomique Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Rasbian 8.0.
Please provide a debug log (wiki) as suggested above.
As the user who runs kodi, run
Code:
touch /TERA/_filmy/_en_filmy/Highlander\ \(1986\)\ \[1080p\]/testfile
and report the result please.
Yeah, I've tried that before, it's not permission issue - at least not for kodi user, kodi user can write to that folder nicely.
Is it left in the temp directory?
Yes, it is.
Ah well, at least you can move it manually.

I have no idea of the root of your problem though. Unless the special characters in your directory name are interfering.
Pages: 1 2