Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Remote headless Kodi for music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Somewhat Kodi related. My pool house is 300 ft from my house. I have a pair of speaker connected to a RPi3 with a wireless connection. I would like to sit at the pool and and remotely control the music. I have an iPad and can use Chorus but the connection is flaky. Kodi remote on my Android phone is worthless. I there a better option to make this work?
Three off the top of my head:

Yatse (as a remote control) on your android
BubbleUpnP (as a UpnP control point) on your android
Kodi on your android (sending output to your Pi using UpnP)

I like #2. There's a restriction on number of items in your playlist with the free version of BubbleUpnP. Options 2 and 3 require various upnp settings to be turned on.
Adding:
Kore, like yatse but no cost.
If the WiFi connection is flaky then I would think about some WiFi repeater to get the connection more stable. Then all named options will be possible. AFAICT this problem is not a Kodi problem. It´s more a Wifi-connection problem, which can´t be solved with some additional app on your tablet/phone or inside Kodi.
(2017-05-23, 07:35)skybird1980 Wrote: [ -> ]Adding:
Kore, like yatse but no cost.

Yatse is free without ads Wink There's paid features for streaming but even in free version Kore is far from like Yatse, it's more a very small subset, that maybe enough for some of course.
Does your pool house have electrical circuit from house ?

If so, https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-85Mbps-Po...B001AZUTCS
(2017-05-23, 18:34)ileenback Wrote: [ -> ]Does your pool house have electrical circuit from house ?

If so, https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-85Mbps-Po...B001AZUTCS

No, separate meter and everything
(2017-05-23, 08:09)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]If the WiFi connection is flaky then I would think about some WiFi repeater to get the connection more stable. Then all named options will be possible. AFAICT this problem is not a Kodi problem. It´s more a Wifi-connection problem, which can´t be solved with some additional app on your tablet/phone or inside Kodi.

I understand it is not a Kodi problem and partly since I'm using the onboard Wifi on a Pi3 inside a FLIRC box. My router is good RT-66AU but I am planning to install a repeater (probably a Hawking HOD45B https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...00TG-00002) My wife likes to play with her iPad at the pool anyway. I'm also waiting for this to arrive https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/acc...bi-antenna
Just a quick update in case anyone is following this thread. I installed the Hawking HOD45B using POe and set the SSID the same as my current wireless network including security and passphrases. I had a good signal at the pool but occasional buffering on the Pi. I added the external antenna on the Pi and it is flawless. KORE works great on my Android phone. I looked at Yatse but it doesn't appear the features I need are free and I hate to buy something I won't use. KORE has been working great. The real test will come soon when I try to watch TV or stream videos later this summer
Posting on threads auto subscribe Wink

Yatse free version have 100% of Kore functions for free without ads, and then 500 free more. If you do not need the 500 paid other more then no need to purchase either.

Does not means that Kore is not good nor could not fit your needs, but if you needed something that is paid in Yatse you won't find it in Kore. So maybe it was just a miss use of Yatse
(2017-06-01, 14:58)Tolriq Wrote: [ -> ]Posting on threads auto subscribe Wink

Yatse free version have 100% of Kore functions for free without ads, and then 500 free more. If you do not need the 500 paid other more then no need to purchase either.

Does not means that Kore is not good nor could not fit your needs, but if you needed something that is paid in Yatse you won't find it in Kore. So maybe it was just a miss use of Yatse

Maybe miss use but I never got out of the Yatse setup wizard. The device showed up and when I went to connect it said "This function is not available on the free version of Yatse" I stopped at that point. I can live with KORE and Chorus
The only list with this message is if you try to stream to an upnp device, it's not the setup wizard but already connected and trying to stream Smile

Anyway as I said if Kore is enough use it, but I had to clarify things about what is paid or not.
(2017-06-01, 16:32)Tolriq Wrote: [ -> ]The only list with this message is if you try to stream to an upnp device, it's not the setup wizard but already connected and trying to stream Smile

Anyway as I said if Kore is enough use it, but I had to clarify things about what is paid or not.

Ok, I manually added my RPi on my phone with Yatse. It is a very nice interface and works great. Thanks
Just just mpd on the RPi3 and a free mpd client from the ipad or droid phone. No kodi required.
Pages: 1 2