Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HW scalers and HD audio codecs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Evenin'

I've been using a laptop for Kodi for a couple of years and obtained a fair number of films on external HD's.

I've got a 4k TV and a Sony DTS MA amp.

I bought a Tronsmart Vega S95 meta Amlogic S905.

It comes preinstalked with a version of Kodi(15.2) - a blank install not a loaded one or anything.
It's plays videos in 4k including the test file and I can read the purple text fine.
But, it wants me to subscribe to play DTS HD audio which seems a bit odd.

So I downloaded Kodi 17.2 and bingo, it plays DTS HD audio fine but it won't play in 4k. It's not just the gui, I can't read the purple text in the test file.

The HW codecs must be the reason and so I wanted to know if I could either copy the audio codec from the 17.2 version into the preinstalled version so I get both DTS HD audio and 4k picture OR copy the HW accelerators from the 15.2 version into the 17.2 version so I get both audio and 4k picture.

The 15.2 codecs are:-

Amcodec
Libstagefright
Media codec
The 17.2 code is only the media codes and a surface version.

The other thing is...... Both of these play any video and pictures and they are really grainy, I mean REALLY grainy but when I switch back to my old laptop Kodi they are fine quality wise.

It's a big ask but can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance
Well, to begin with, it's the audio engine not codec. Codec are what your video/audio are encoded as.

But you can do anything you like if you have the skills to do so. However, it's not something that is going to be supported here.

Most like your device came preinstalled with a custom build of Kodi (again not something that will get support here), so the best you can do is to provide a Debug log (wiki) with a clean version of v17 installed.
(2017-05-25, 00:16)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Well, to begin with, it's the audio engine not codec. Codec are what your video/audio are encoded as.

But you can do anything you like if you have the skills to do so. However, it's not something that is going to be supported here.

Most like your device came preinstalled with a custom build of Kodi (again not something that will get support here), so the best you can do is to provide a Debug log (wiki) with a clean version of v17 installed.

OK cheers, I'll do that in the morning.

However, is it not possible to move the three codecs

Amcodec
Libstagefright
Media codec

From one install to another?
Where are these files stored on an Android device? I've looked and I can't see them anywhere.
Again, those are not codecs, those are APIs that allow Kodi to use the HW decoders.

It's​ also not a matter of just moving files. You would have to take the code from one version and implement it in another and then adjust any code to make it work, then rebuild Kodi.
(2017-05-25, 00:35)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Again, those are not codecs, those are APIs that allow Kodi to use the HW decoders.

It's​ also not a matter of just moving files. You would have to take the code from one version and implement it in another and then adjust any code to make it work, then rebuild Kodi.

And it's not possible for me to simply download and install them?

Thanks for your help. It's just a total pain that I have two different t versions and one works the sound fine and the other the picture! Just my luck!
(2017-05-25, 00:48)James_liv Wrote: [ -> ]And it's not possible for me to simply download and install them?

No that's not how it works. It's apart of Kodi's code.
Do you have Mediacodec Surface enabled? I believe that's required for 4K out.
The Android Box in Question does NOT Auto Resolution Switch 1080p <<-->> 4K

In Android Settings of the Android desktop itself, select a Screen Resolution of 4K2K first before playing any 4K video.

If you want all this to work seamlessly install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to a Samsung, Sandisk or Lexar 300x microSDHC Class 10 U1.
Instructions are found here:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2156-8...905-s905x/

Android Kodi is not going to give you what you want.
(2017-05-25, 04:18)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have Mediacodec Surface enabled? I believe that's required for 4K out.

Yes, by default but the resolution box is greyed out on the 17.2 Kodi,
(2017-05-25, 04:28)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]The Android Box in Question does NOT Auto Resolution Switch 1080p <<-->> 4K

In Android Settings of the Android desktop itself, select a Screen Resolution of 4K2K first before playing any 4K video.

If you want all this to work seamlessly install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to a Samsung, Sandisk or Lexar 300x microSDHC Class 10 U1.
Instructions are found here:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2156-8...905-s905x/

Android Kodi is not going to give you what you want.

I dont really know what this is for and wiping the device completed - potentially irreversible - seems a drastic measure considering Kodi IS working - the sound works on 17.2 and the 4K works absolutely perfect on 15.2 (which is actually VidOn XBMC) but not the sound.

And the other issue is the picture quality is really poor. Its grainy and pixilated on both versions. It cant be right.
You are not wiping the device. LibreELEC runs entirely from a microSDHC card. Its a optimised, device specific OS. Entirely designed to run Kodi at speed with minimal bugs.
This is even run as a Dual boot LibreELEC / Android setup - out of the box.

You can persist with Android and continue with all the 1080p and 4K Picture & Resolution issues or do a small bit of DIY and end up with a superior Kodi. Smile

I will say again there is NO Auto 1080p <<-->> 4k Resolution switching available in the Android OS with AMLogic devices. This is going to cause you a lot of problems if you want seamless 1080p and 4K video playback.

I seriously doubt you are getting HD Audio out of that Tronsmart with any official version of Kodi Krypton v17.x either because it will not have the Android IEC Audio Code in Firmware to allow such Audio support.
See here:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2409146

The only way to tell is with a:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

You will get comprehensive HD Audio with LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Post #10 now and still no Debug Log ?
Does LibreELEC or any kodi version support 24 bit audio?

I've been using Spmc and it's working fine but I'm not convinced the DTS HD that it's passing isn't being down sampled to 16bit.

A bit of Googling and I can't find a definite answer.
"You are not convinced" ?

We don't have a DTS-HD encoder, so whenever you see DTS-HD on your AVR you can be 100% assured that you get the original bitstream ...

And yes: Audio-Engine supports 24 bit audio processing, it works losslessly with a 32 bit intermediate format.
(2017-05-29, 09:49)James_liv Wrote: [ -> ]Does LibreELEC or any kodi version support 24 bit audio?

I've been using Spmc and it's working fine but I'm not convinced the DTS HD that it's passing isn't being down sampled to 16bit.

A bit of Googling and I can't find a definite answer.
There is no resampling taking place if you are using Passthrough Audio. If you were Playing Hi_res FLAC and outputting as 2.0 PCM then 24bit would be output as 16bit on most cheap Android systems.

You problem is the usual poor Android Firmware is limiting what works with Kodi or SPMC.

There are no Audio (and very few video) limitations at all on S905 AMLogic LibreELEC. Use it if you are a demanding Kodi user.
Struggling with any Android Kodi + poor Android Firmware do not make a good combo at all and you end up going around in circles.
(2017-05-29, 10:54)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]"You are not convinced" ?

We don't have a DTS-HD encoder, so whenever you see DTS-HD on your AVR you can be 100% assured that you get the original bitstream ...

And yes: Audio-Engine supports 24 bit audio processing, it works losslessly with a 32 bit intermediate format.

Cheers,
It says DTS HD on my amp but doesn't say if it's 16bit or 24 bit. I'm using SPMC, Is it the same?
A lot of forums have said that android can't decode 24 bit.
Pages: 1 2 3