Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Connection Issues (Ethernet Cable)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I have an issue with my iPhone 7 Plus (IOS 10.1.1) running "Offical Kodi Remote" app to connect to Kodi (Latest Stable) on my Nvidia Shield. The app keeps searching, but unable to connect.

I tried wifi IP Address and IP Address found on Kodi (system info), still no results during "Find Kodi".
Please help!

- Running Ethernet cable to Nvidia Shield
- iPhone connected to same router via Wifi (different IP address)
- Matched Username and Password
- Using "Confluence" skin
- Add-ons up-to-date
- "Allow control of Kodi via HTTP" Enabled
- "Allow programs on this system to control Kodi" Enabled
- "Allow programs on other systems to control Kodi" Enabled
- Zeroconf not available
- Firewall allowing HTTP port
Can you open kodi's web page in the web browser on your iphone?
(2017-05-26, 07:02)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Can you open kodi's web page in the web browser on your iphone?

Yes I can, sir
Then it should just work.
(2017-05-30, 21:40)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Then it should just work.

What does opening Kodi web page on safari have to do with the Official Kodi Remote app not connecting to Kodi on my Nvidia Shield?
It means kodi is accessible from the iPhone.

If you can open it in the Safari web browser on your phone, it confirms that both objects are on the same network and visible to each other. You should be able to use the Kodi remote on your iPhone.

Have you set up the Kodi remote? i.e. if the auto search cannot find kodi, have you manually entered the ip address of your kodi install by pressing "Add Host" on the connection page

Also go to Settings>Service Settings>Control and note the Port number. Ensure this is the same port used by the app. While there, ensure that you have Enabled Allow Remote Control via HTTP, and enable both items under Application Control.
(2017-05-30, 23:35)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]It means kodi is accessible from the iPhone.

If you can open it in the Safari web browser on your phone, it confirms that both objects are on the same network and visible to each other. You should be able to use the Kodi remote on your iPhone.

Have you set up the Kodi remote? i.e. if the auto search cannot find kodi, have you manually entered the ip address of your kodi install by pressing "Add Host" on the connection page

Also go to Settings>Service Settings>Control and note the Port number. Ensure this is the same port used by the app. While there, ensure that you have Enabled Allow Remote Control via HTTP, and enable both items under Application Control.

I have used the "Offical Kodi Remote" for years now via Wifi only. I know how to use it and I know how to set it up.

I have auto search, unsuccessful
I have manually added both IP address (like I stated at initial message), unsuccessful
I have Enabled Allow Remote Remote Control via HTTP (also stated at initial message)

I will note the port number when I attempt to try again because I haven't try this method yet.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I do feel like my intelligence is being insulted. I know how to operate the app and Kodi, everything that I stated during my first message has not changed nor that I haven't tried.

I feel like the main issue is that my Kodi is using Ethernet and my iPhone is using Wifi (same router), making two different IP Addresses. And I was hoping that it is possible to connect the two devices or not.
I am not sire what you mean "two different IP addresses". Yes of course the kodi machine and the iPhone have different IP addresses. That will be the case whether the kodi machine uses ethernet, wifi or IP over carrier pigeon.

The ability to open the web page on the kodi machine from the iphone means that they are capable of communicating over the network. - Actually thinking about that, my question in post 2 and your response in post 3 may have been ambiguous. I was asking whether you could open the web page served by kodi running on the shield, not the kodi.tv home page. Can you specifically confirm that you can open the web page generated by kodi on the shield? ie http://shieldipaddress:8080/ (assuming you haven't changed the default port which is 8080).
(2017-06-01, 05:17)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sire what you mean "two different IP addresses". Yes of course the kodi machine and the iPhone have different IP addresses. That will be the case whether the kodi machine uses ethernet, wifi or IP over carrier pigeon.

The ability to open the web page on the kodi machine from the iphone means that they are capable of communicating over the network. - Actually thinking about that, my question in post 2 and your response in post 3 may have been ambiguous. I was asking whether you could open the web page served by kodi running on the shield, not the kodi.tv home page. Can you specifically confirm that you can open the web page generated by kodi on the shield? ie http://shieldipaddress:8080/ (assuming you haven't changed the default port which is 8080).

Well with the two different IP addresses, I was just trying all options, but both didn't work through the app.

As for that having the iPhone communicate with the Kodi machine via network is also unsuccessful.

Is there any reason why Zeroconf is not available on 17.3?
Have you tried using https://shieldipaddress:8080/
Or just the shieldipaddress:8080/
Could be your Router not allowing the http://
When i connect to my Cast device i just use the 192.168
Not the same thing i know but worth a shoot.

If this makes no sense and looks like RUBBISH, just ignore my post Big Grin
Thank You
(2017-06-06, 20:05)kimkl Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried using https://shieldipaddress:8080/
Or just the shieldipaddress:8080/
Could be your Router not allowing the http://
When i connect to my Cast device i just use the 192.168
Not the same thing i know but worth a shoot.

If this makes no sense and looks like RUBBISH, just ignore my post Big Grin
Thank You

I tried that as well... in my router I allowed http port with the android box. I tried 192.168 and still nothing.
Well looks like the "Offical Kodi Remote" app is the problem. I downloaded SYBU for Kodi and it connected flawlessly.
Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem.
I changed recently my router and now i'm using a 5 ghz frequency wifi
Device are plugged and have the same netmask the mobile have.

When I run "find kodi" I have no return

I have 2 device; kodi is running on raspberry pi2 and pi3 and the problem is the same i'll try tonight to use 2.4 ghz (as old router)
the new router support 2.4 and 5.0.

Is there anyone encountered the same problem?
Gianluca
Some routers isolate your wireless clients from each other and/or from your wired devices. Check your router settings.

And of course ping is the start of any network troubleshooting.
I had almost the same problem.
You can't even imagine how much time I spent trying different ways to solve the problem. And as a result, all I had to do - is change my old ethernet cable. That's it. SUCCESS! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2