Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Krypton Just Too Unreliable on RPi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been using the OpenELEC 8.03 version of Kodi Krypton and I've suffered with all kinds of live TV playback issues that just didn't exist under OE Jarvis on my Raspberry Pi. It's been frustrating suffering through long pauses and interruptions while watching live TV under Krypton. Krypton seems to be more sensitive to TV antenna problems than Jarvis. Disruptions caused by poor reception are handled more gracefully under Jarvis than under Krypton.

Another issue with Krypton has to do with time shifting. NextPVR time shifting is a hit or miss proposition under Krypton compared to Jarvis. Frequently going back in time can cause the system to freeze and show a "Tuner Not Available" message under Krypton.

Finally, Jarvis is so much faster starting up compared to Krypton. Specifically Krypton is really slow importing the program guide, recordings and channel information from the backend server compared to Jarvis.

I like many things about Krypton, especially Estuary. However, the bottom line is reliability and Krypton just isn't ready for prime time when it comes to reliability!

Sent from my GT-P3113
Regardless of your issues with Kodi I recommend that you switch from OpenELEC to LibreELEC

https://libreelec.tv

LibreELEC have many more active developers (as most developers moved from OpenELEC).
Thread moved to Pi section.

As a regular user of LE on both a Pi0 and a Pi3 I can certainly endorse it as being solid and recommended, and whilst I can't comment about NextPVR my lounge Pi3 takes feed from my HDHomeRun via a TVHeadEnd server (a Pi2) without issue.
LibreELEC has the same problems which is why I tried OE. Also I wanted to avoid comparing apples to oranges which why I switched to OE since Jarvis was under OE. In my evaluation I have separate SD cards with identical configurations but one is Jarvis 16.1 and the other is Krypton 8.03. The hardware environment is the same but the behaviors are so different. Jarvis is not perfect and has its own set of issues. My hope with Krypton was to improve on those issues. Unfortunately the rewrite of the Kodi player code has introduced a new set of problems that only the Kodi developers can fix.

Sent from my GT-P3113
Have you tried viewing distant TV stations with less than perfect signal strength? Stations with strong signals will not expose the problems I detailed. I expect Kodi to behave just like my TV and recover quickly and gracefully recover from any stream disruption. Jarvis does that better than Krypton based on my experience with the same hardware the same distance from the router.

Sent from my GT-P3113
Unfortunately (for me) that's about all I get - half the time my TV's built-in tuner can't pick up anything or displays a modern art output of random coloured blocks. In such cases my signal from the HDHR/TVHeadend is usually fine.
Not sure if its the coding or simply the processing of the RPi3, but have serious issues when trying to receive live TV streams. Running Raspian (latest) which last night added the latest Kodi 17.3. After 10-20 minutes of live TV streaming it starts to start/stop with buffering issues. It will never fully recover. You have to reboot, get another 10-20 minutes and issues again.

I've tried Raspian with Kodi 17.3 (available as of last night's build), LibreElec with Kodi 17.3, and Win 7 with Kodi 17.3.

It all works fine running on a Win 7 PC with Kodi 17.3. I'd say its either memory leak in the Rapsian Kodi, or the RPi3 is simply not powerful enough, and it doesn't gracefully recover after it chokes. Either way, Windows 7 PC runs fine, RPi3 doesn't.
I never used NextPVR but I had a bad experience with Tvheadend + Kodi 17. When the signal from a satellite dish was poor (e.g. during rain) - Kodi usually crashed. I started using VDR/VNSI and all those issues are gone.
I can watch any movie I have on my media computer, or any recording without a problem. But as soon as I watch LiveTV the problem starts. I have tried both TVH and MythTV, the same problem exist. So I think there is something different with how LiveTV is being handled. I tried to start some threads and help to find the problems for the developers. But not much interest, or hard to find the problem, since I cant make a recording of the problem. Recordings works fine.
I usually start a recording and start to watch it instead. Not very WAF friendly, and growing recordings isn't handled well by Kodi either, but it works.
No problems here with MediaPortal as the backend, but I have RPi3.
Not likely to get help as I see no logs.
(2017-05-30, 21:56)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Not likely to get help as I see no logs.
What specific logs that pertain to the problems would you like to see?

I'm a developer with very good troubleshooting skills and I've got the systems to run any tests you want. Since I'm not as familiar with the code as you, I am willing to run specific tests under your direction and send you the resulting logs for analysis.

Just let me know Smile

Sent from my GT-P3113
A debug log (wiki) showing the issue would be a great starting point. And I don't know the code at all, not everyone on the team is a developer Smile

If you are a developer with skills in the area, you may well get on the team yourself. New devs are always welcome.
I've found that being flexible with which distro of Kodi one uses on the RaspberryPi really pays off. I started with RaspBMC on original Pi, moved to OpenElec then LibreELEC on the RPi2, and have now found that (as of this writing) OSMC is running quite well for me on the RPi3 with MediaPortal as the backend. I use multiple HDHomeRuns for OTA, an Hauppauge HVR-2250 for cable and radio, and multiple Hauppauge HD-PVRs for satellite (I have different sources available different times of the year). Recordings from all tuner types are playing back crisply on the RPi3 with OSMC, connected via Ethernet of course. Some of my cable recordings are MPEG-2 so I've always unlocked hardware decoding for both that and VC-1 -- since I still have some recordings made using Windows Media Center years ago.

I'd recommend giving OSMC a try, it really seems solid compared to LibreELEC (at this point anyway). Either image your current SD card before you start, or use a new one, and you can always revert quickly to your previous setup if you run into issues.
(2017-05-31, 04:57)benicehavefun Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that being flexible with which distro of Kodi one uses on the RaspberryPi really pays off. I started with RaspBMC on original Pi, moved to OpenElec then LibreELEC on the RPi2, and have now found that (as of this writing) OSMC is running quite well for me on the RPi3 with MediaPortal as the backend. I use multiple HDHomeRuns for OTA, an Hauppauge HVR-2250 for cable and radio, and multiple Hauppauge HD-PVRs for satellite (I have different sources available different times of the year). Recordings from all tuner types are playing back crisply on the RPi3 with OSMC, connected via Ethernet of course. Some of my cable recordings are MPEG-2 so I've always unlocked hardware decoding for both that and VC-1 -- since I still have some recordings made using Windows Media Center years ago.

I'd recommend giving OSMC a try, it really seems solid compared to LibreELEC (at this point anyway). Either image your current SD card before you start, or use a new one, and you can always revert quickly to your previous setup if you run into issues.
Out of curiosity, have you had success viewing weak signal TV channels using Krypton running on OSMC? So far two distros have shown the same problems which leads me to think that it may not be a distro issue but a Kodi issue. I'll give OSMC a try and let you know what happens.

Sent from my GT-P3113
Pages: 1 2