Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Smart playlist does not play next video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I have a very weird issue in Kodi 17.3. If I create a smart playlist, it plays the currently selected video and then stops without playing the next video. This renders the playlists pretty much useless. I have tried a complete from scratch install and everything in between, the issue persists. What I am TRYING to do is create a Smart Episode playlist for specific TV shows that is in random order. But instead of going to the next video it just stops (and randomizes the playlist, if I have it set to Random order). I have checked and I do have "play next video automatically" enabled under player settings -> video.

If I go under TV Shows and watch an episode there, the play continues normally to the next episode. It is only from within playlists that it does not advance to the next video.

This seems to be a very uncommon issue as every google search I do comes up with the OPPOSITE problem, where people do not want to play the next video. But I actually do want to play the next video, and it does not work.

Thanks for any help
You need to enable "play next video automatically"?? In Kodi's video settings

Sent from my SM-G935T
(2017-06-02, 18:15)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]You need to enable "play next video automatically"?? In Kodi's video settings

Sent from my SM-G935T (typie typie)

I see you did not completely read my post.
(2017-06-02, 18:18)Litmusdragon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-02, 18:15)Lunatixz Wrote: [ -> ]You need to enable "play next video automatically"?? In Kodi's video settings

Sent from my SM-G935T (typie typie)

I see you did not completely read my post.

You are correct...

Sent from my SM-G935T
(2017-06-02, 18:08)Litmusdragon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

I have a very weird issue in Kodi 17.3. If I create a smart playlist, it plays the currently selected video and then stops without playing the next video. This renders the playlists pretty much useless. I have tried a complete from scratch install and everything in between, the issue persists. What I am TRYING to do is create a Smart Episode playlist for specific TV shows that is in random order. But instead of going to the next video it just stops (and randomizes the playlist, if I have it set to Random order). I have checked and I do have "play next video automatically" enabled under player settings -> video.

If I go under TV Shows and watch an episode there, the play continues normally to the next episode. It is only from within playlists that it does not advance to the next video.

This seems to be a very uncommon issue as every google search I do comes up with the OPPOSITE problem, where people do not want to play the next video. But I actually do want to play the next video, and it does not work.

Thanks for any help

Hi Litmusdragon, i was asking the same question and didn't find any proper solution, and nothing to do with 17.3 i think, there are some rare old threads about the same issue.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=312023

I'm surprised this is not reported more often, or maybe i'm wrong to assume everybody uses smart playlists.
In any case, if you find a solution please do let me know!
What format are your videos in? Are they single file like mkv or mp4? or are they preserved DVD or Bluray structure?
A work-around may be to play the smart playlist. Works if it is OK to start at the first file in it, rather than starting somewhere in the middle. Just thinking out loud but it seems like there can be some issues when the smart playlist has a sort that isn't supported in the current MyVideoNav (videos) view. I assume if you open the now playing playlist it only contains the single video (episode) that you selected? When you stop/end playing the episode and you are returned to the smart playlist is the sort the same as when you started, or did Kodi re-sort it based on the current view sort option in the menu?

scott s.
(2017-07-07, 11:54)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]What format are your videos in? Are they single file like mkv or mp4? or are they preserved DVD or Bluray structure?
My files are single .mkv files.

(2017-07-07, 23:39)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]A work-around may be to play the smart playlist. Works if it is OK to start at the first file in it, rather than starting somewhere in the middle. Just thinking out loud but it seems like there can be some issues when the smart playlist has a sort that isn't supported in the current MyVideoNav (videos) view. I assume if you open the now playing playlist it only contains the single video (episode) that you selected? When you stop/end playing the episode and you are returned to the smart playlist is the sort the same as when you started, or did Kodi re-sort it based on the current view sort option in the menu?

scott s.

You are right, if i go to the 'now playing' playlist it only contains that single video, but it doesn't matter if i start playing from first file, or second
My smart playlist was sorted by 'path' in xsp, so i removed that, and tried different sort options from kodi settings, nothing changed.
One thing that i noticed is that this doesn't happen if my playlist is type="tvshows", the problem is with type="episodes"
I can confirm what you report. Seems like a bug to me, probably should be entered into Trac. Also tested in Kodi 16 and 18 doesn't work there either.

scott s.
Thank you for the confirmation scott s., much appreciated.
Does Play from here on the Context menu work?
(2017-07-09, 10:05)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Does Play from here on the Context menu work?
Hi jjd-uk, yes 'play from here' works, but to get that option i have to disable 'play next video automatically'
That way 'play from here' would have to be used throughout the kodi to get that result, so it's a workaround i guess
It's been like that for so long now that I just assumed it is an intentional change that wasn't mentioned anywhere. I say change but i don't remember it being any other way lol
Old thread, but I found it occurring in 18.5, The fix for me, well, its logical, but.....

Settings / Media / Videos = change Default select action from Show Information to Play

then I could go into any video play list, choose any video, and when it finishes it'll play the next in the playlist

Without it on Show Information, it'll just stop and go back to the playlist view

Hope it helps someone