Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Crash to Desktop when trying to change menu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just tinkering around with different skins and decided to give this one a try. However, when I try to customize the home menu to go straight to the "movie list" Kodi freezes and crashed to desktop. Right now, by default, the skin is set to enter into some sort of submenu listing "Recently added movies / Movies by Genre, etc". I want it to go straight to the movie listing, skipping that submenu thing. Same thing with the TV shows. Any time I try to change it, Kodi crashes.

Also, unrelated(?) question but can this skin (or any other skin) do the following:
Show a movie poster thumbnail, then clicking on the movie poster takes you to a second screen or, rather, an "exploded" view listing the plot, actors, IMDB rating, etc..etc..etc.. and then having the option to either play or, return to the main view of all the movie posters? That would be MY ideal set-up.
I can't comment on the first part without knowing if you've noticed this on the Mod or in the original.

As for the second, if you go to Settings/Library/Videos/Default select action, you'll find what you wanted. Set it to Show information - that will always open the Extended Info instead of playing the item. From there you can play it or return back to the library.
That's a good question. I'm not sure which version I have. I test all of the skins on my Microsoft Surface 3 tablet as to not upset the S.O. by having her try to re-learn a new skin every time I want to tinker, I will have to check that and get back to you.

Thanks for the second bit of information though. That's exactly what I'm looking for!
(2017-06-02, 23:48)Alanon Wrote: [ -> ]I can't comment on the first part without knowing if you've noticed this on the Mod or in the original.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am on Eminence 2.0 MOD apparently.
(2017-06-04, 22:17)Usafle Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am on Eminence 2.0 MOD apparently.

Ah, welcome to the family. Big Grin

The first step would be to ensure you have the latest dependencies from Marcelveldt's beta repo (Link is in the mod thread OP). Skin Helper controls menu selection, and it seems like something is wrong right around those parts. the mod uses the latest betas, most other skins don't.
(2017-06-05, 02:33)Alanon Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, welcome to the family. Big Grin

The first step would be to ensure you have the latest dependencies from Marcelveldt's beta repo (Link is in the mod thread OP). Skin Helper controls menu selection, and it seems like something is wrong right around those parts. the mod uses the latest betas, most other skins don't.

I was using Titan skin which, I believe, uses the same dependencies? I also went through the "recommended addon" section in your skin and made sure all the red "X" were green "checks". There seems to be some sort of problem when switching from Titan to your skin... all the menus are screwed up. Some of them are still showing Titan's thumbnails + menu layout.
Hitting the "default" setting on some of the menus cleared them up but, when I attempt to change what a shortcut does, Kodi freezes and CTD.
I've shown the S.O. the skin and she approved so I installed in on my HTPC build, the same thing happens there as well.... strange.
(2017-06-06, 06:03)Usafle Wrote: [ -> ]I was using Titan skin which, I believe, uses the same dependencies? I also went through the "recommended addon" section in your skin and made sure all the red "X" were green "checks". There seems to be some sort of problem when switching from Titan to your skin... all the menus are screwed up. Some of them are still showing Titan's thumbnails + menu layout.
Hitting the "default" setting on some of the menus cleared them up but, when I attempt to change what a shortcut does, Kodi freezes and CTD.
I've shown the S.O. the skin and she approved so I installed in on my HTPC build, the same thing happens there as well.... strange.

Yes, that should definitely not be happening. If you're willing to continue poking the bear, I have some thoughts?

From what you've described, the problem might be in the way Eminence and Titan are communicating. I stress this because Titan is a finicky skin. Back in the day when I was testing it out, it was the only skin shortcuts skin that always overwrote all my menus and then forced them on other skins. Back then, if you had Titan, it insisted that it be the skin to create and populate all the menus. I was under the impression that this was changed, but your description definitely sounds like Eminence tried to pull the data available, and choked.

If you don't care for the settings in Eminence and don't mind doing everything from scratch, then I'd recommend resetting all skin settings from the inside and see where that gets you. It probably won't work, but it's just one click (Extras / reset all skin settings), and it's worth a shot.

If that yields no results, then my advice would be to delete everything from the Eminence userdata folder, thus deleting all the settings just in case, then use a third skin that also uses skin shortcuts (Aeon Nox, Silvo, Estuary Mod, etc). The idea is to make that "neutral" skin pull the Titan shortcuts data, only without those extras that oughtn't be there. When you get to the third skin, make sure you change something in the shortcuts, to record the new stuff. After that, go into Eminence, and see from what it tries to build the menu.

Finally, the most volatile option, and probably the most effective one, would be to remove the skin shortcuts data folder entirely (you needn't delete it, just remove it from its place) thus by making it as if it was just installed.

These are all just off the top of my head.
(2017-06-06, 10:46)Alanon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-06, 06:03)Usafle Wrote: [ -> ]I was using Titan skin which, I believe, uses the same dependencies? I also went through the "recommended addon" section in your skin and made sure all the red "X" were green "checks". There seems to be some sort of problem when switching from Titan to your skin... all the menus are screwed up. Some of them are still showing Titan's thumbnails + menu layout.

Yes, that should definitely not be happening. If you're willing to continue poking the bear, I have some thoughts?

From what you've described, the problem might be in the way Eminence and Titan are communicating. I stress this because Titan is a finicky skin. Back in the day when I was testing it out, it was the only skin shortcuts skin that always overwrote all my menus and then forced them on other skins. Back then, if you had Titan, it insisted that it be the skin to create and populate all the menus. I was under the impression that this was changed, but your description definitely sounds like Eminence tried to pull the data available, and choked.

If you don't care for the settings in Eminence and don't mind doing everything from scratch, then I'd recommend resetting all skin settings from the inside and see where that gets you. It probably won't work, but it's just one click (Extras / reset all skin settings), and it's worth a shot.

If that yields no results, then my advice would be to delete everything from the Eminence userdata folder, thus deleting all the settings just in case, then use a third skin that also uses skin shortcuts (Aeon Nox, Silvo, Estuary Mod, etc). The idea is to make that "neutral" skin pull the Titan shortcuts data, only without those extras that oughtn't be there. When you get to the third skin, make sure you change something in the shortcuts, to record the new stuff. After that, go into Eminence, and see from what it tries to build the menu.

Finally, the most volatile option, and probably the most effective one, would be to remove the skin shortcuts data folder entirely (you needn't delete it, just remove it from its place) thus by making it as if it was just installed.

These are all just off the top of my head, I've probably missed something, but let's see what happens
(2017-06-06, 10:46)Alanon Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, that should definitely not be happening. If you're willing to continue poking the bear, I have some thoughts?
<SNIP>

Well I went and did one better: I wiped and re-installed Kodi on my Surface Tablet (what else do I have to do on a 7+ hour flight from NY to Germany?) Now I am no longer suffering the CTD when I attempt to change the home screen shortcuts. So it was definitely something to do with having Titan skin installed first and then installing your skin. All the shortcut icons now look like they do in some of the screenshots provided. Before they were kind of a mash up between Titan and this skin. Sorry, I should have taken screenshots before wiping. Everything works as it is supposed to now.

The HTPC at home is going to be the issue. I'm going to try and cheat a little and back up the skin settings first on the HTPC before wiping. Hopefully I can cheat a little and just restore the skin settings and, hopefully, not bring along all the "errors"?
I can't risk angering the S.O. any further and she is ALWAYS angry. LoL

Thanks for the suggestions though.
(2017-06-07, 14:33)Usafle Wrote: [ -> ]The HTPC at home is going to be the issue. I'm going to try and cheat a little and back up the skin settings first on the HTPC before wiping. Hopefully I can cheat a little and just restore the skin settings and, hopefully, not bring along all the "errors"?
I can't risk angering the S.O. any further and she is ALWAYS angry. LoL

Thanks for the suggestions though.

No worries, glad you got it sorted. Be advised, some folks experienced a bug with restoring skin settings, whereby nothing would happen. If this happens to you, the solution is to go to your add-ons and open the skin.helper.skinbackup add-on and run a restore from inside it. Either that or load the skin beta from git, which works around the issue in the settings themselves.