Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi: SMB shares issues on android TV.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I am new to the Kodi community, nice to join such a vibrant group of developers and users.

I recently got a new TV and decided to install Kodi so that I can use it to access my media library on my htpc directly.

My issue: when I defined my media library sources as smb:\\[myhtpc]\movies although it connected normally and I could see about half of my directories with movies, e.g. Up to directories starting with the letter "m". The rest were no where to be seen. If I add a new directory starting with letter "a" I was able to see it but I would now lose the last of the directories starting with the letter "m".

The same happens with my music, my pictures and my videos libraries. It appears that kodi reads a set number of directories and then stops.

My TV is the Sony Bravia xbr850D with android 6.0 TV. Kodi on tv is 17.3
My htpc is an old Xeon based computer with windows 8.1 using properly configured shares as described on the kodi howtos.

I also have a Plex server and with it I can see all the directories and shares no problem.

My sloppy solution (for now):
I have an old synology server that I use for backups of my htpc that is mounting and then samba serving my media libraries from the windows 8.1 htpc.
In kodi I then defined the sources as the synology mounts of the windows shared folders.
E.g. smb:\\[synology]\movies
So to summarize: kodi on the Sony android TV connects to the synology server smb shares who in turn connects to the windows htpc shares.
Using this approach works fine and I can see all the files.

Now this is not an optimal solution because the synology server is old and slow and when kodi updates the libraries while playing videos there is a lot of stuttering.

Other solutions that didn't work satisfactorily:
Have kodi running on htpc serve upnp libraries. Similarly have plex server running on htpc serve upnp libraries. Also using plex to kodi didn't work either. With these methods (using the upnp sources) I could see all the files in the libraries on the htpc, but for some reason I couldn't get them to integrate into the movies or music or the tv shows libraries in kodi.

I have searching the web to see whether others had any similar issues but it seems I am the only one. Have you guys experienced this before. Are there any recommendations for being able to see all the directories/movies when I connect directly on to the htpc smb shares?
Thanks for your input.
The Android Kodi uses an ancient version of Samba. So this might be a bug that was fixed long ago.

Kodi doesn't work well with UPNP, so that isn't recommended.

Maybe try NFS?
Thanks, I am trying to install nfsd using Cygwin, see how that goes.
Or put a proper os on the htpc?
FYI, this is a bug in the SMB client for the android app. It's been fixed in latest v18 nightly.

More info here: https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17149
Have the same issue that popped up when I updated Windows to build 1803 last week. It's only relevant to SMB 1: the Windows 10 folder shares aren't properly accessible, sometimes I get a partial listing, sometimes nothing, sometimes an error.

I've tried all manner of fixes, including reinstating SMB 1, but the only solution is to run the v.18 alpha nightly, which has a few problems of its own.

Are we to understand SMB 2/3  is not coming to v.17 ever?
(2018-05-16, 19:24)FireInMyHole Wrote: [ -> ]Are we to understand SMB 2/3  is not coming to v.17 ever?

No, no new features will be added to v17.
Same issue but I just installed SMB1 back on machine