Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio passthrough only works when switch on/off - Nvidia Shield
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello almighty forum,

Switched hardware from RaspberryPi 3 to a Nvidia Shield v2 and i have some issues with audio passthrough. Can't find any threads with the same issue.

My hardware:

Nvidia Shield v2 fw:
Kodi version: 17.3 Git:20170524-77575

Marantz SR7010
Latest fw. (0992-7370-9285-04.)

In kodi system audio settings i have set audio passthrough to enabled. When playing a movie with any format i get no sound what so ever. The receiver identifies the signal as "unknown". If i then while playing the movie go to the Audio and subtitles settings menu and disables the Allow passthrough and then enables it again i get sound and all works as it should. The receiver identifies the signal as "DTS-HD" or whatever signal the movie contains. I have to do this every single time i start a movie to get sound.

Any suggestions on how fix this behavior?
Do you have a Nvidia Shield with firmware v2, or is it the 2017 version of the Nvidia Shield (which would be the second version of the Sheild)?

Also, power on your Marantz receiver first, and leave it on, then test passthrough using Kodi. Do you then still have the issue?
Nope no, success. Still no sound unless i toggle the Allow passthrough switch. Tanks though for the suggestion Powerhouse!

The Shield is a new second version. Current fw is 5.1 (24.28.403.124)
Do you have frame rate switching on?

Did you read the Known Issues here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304226 ?
Thanks Tinwarble! Tweaking with the "Delay after change of refresh rate" setting killed all sound both when disable the Allow passthrough when playing and also the toggle that worked before.

If i disable "frame rate switching" the sound works! Smile

I'm not sure how this will affect the picture tough?
Let me start by saying i have the first gen shield tv and have experienced this problem in kodi 17.3. Do you have the default action when selecting a video set to show the info instead of play? When i had it set to show info when selecting i had the same audio problem (no audio until disable and enable passthrough), once i set it so the default action was to play instead of show info the audio worked without having to disable passthrough and then enable it again. For what its worth i have refresh rate switching enabled (set to always) and working as well.