Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is 2.35:1 to 16:9 Non Linear Stretch Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is an 4:3 to 16:9 Non Linear option in setup, It keeps the centre of the image normal and only stretches the sides to 16:9

Is it possible to do this for 2.35:1 movies as the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen is a waste of screen and it can cause burn-in on oled and plasma displays.

I always stretch 2.35:1 to 16:9 and i put up with the stretched image, After a while you get use to it, Non Linear 16:9 stretch would be amazing.

Cyberlink PowerDVD has the option to non-linear stretch 2.35:1 to 16:9 and it works great.

Having this feature on Kodi would be great.

Thanks

John.
At one point Kodi had the panoramic feature, but a lot of users with various diverse graphic cards could not get it working (I suspect the feature was linked to hardware routines in some graphic cards). re-drawing the screen with rendered changes in real time would take a lot of horsepower that most system don't have unless there was dedicated hardware chips for the purpose. With most current media releases, 16:9 aspect is always in the directors mind for the home market http://kodi.wiki/view/video_playback (wiki) but if you truly want to get rid of those black bars, nothing beats a projector.

Your post might be noticed by developers in the 'feature requests' forum.
(2017-06-07, 22:45)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]At one point Kodi had the panoramic feature, but a lot of users with various diverse graphic cards could not get it working (I suspect the feature was linked to hardware routines in some graphic cards). re-drawing the screen with rendered changes in real time would take a lot of horsepower that most system don't have unless there was dedicated hardware chips for the purpose. With most current media releases, 16:9 aspect is always in the directors mind for the home market http://kodi.wiki/view/video_playback (wiki) but if you truly want to get rid of those black bars, nothing beats a projector.

Your post might be noticed by developers in the 'feature requests' forum.

Thanks PatK, If it`s a feature other Kodi member would want they should make their opinion known by replying to this thread.

If this thread get no more responses then forget it and devote your time to more popular features.

John.
Thread moved into features request.