Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 23.976 dream even possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The one thing that I miss about my htpc was the seemless ability for Kodi to play my movie collection at its native framerate of 23.976. There are too many convenience factors to go away from my Firetv just for that factor but everytime I watch a movie it bugs me. I can with my firetv get 24 fps but 23.976 seems to be impossible. Is there a hardware solution out there that has this working perfectly? I thought I would have to go with either the shield or one of the wetek boxes but I have seen posts around that say those are not working either. Any suggestions?
Working 23.976fps video output with Kodi Krypton dynamic refresh rate switching boxes:

- nVIDIA Shield
- MINIX U9
- WeTek Hub with Marshmallow Firmware

- older Android S8xx/S905 boxes running Android Lollipop Firmware & using Kodi or SPMC Jarvis
- RPi's, Intel Boxes & AMLogic S905(x) running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.

Just get a AMLogic S905 / S905X box like everyone is doing and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton. Its a no brainer for optimised Kodi use only.
AMLogic LE will play anything (non HDR) you throw at it.

Keep the FireTV for Android Apps only. That way you get to use Android and Kodi properly without compromising much at all. It really is the way to go.
Do streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Video all use 24.0fps? I'm just curious how FireTV can get away with not supporting the /1.001 rates.

You can of course enable sync to display, and Kodi will resample the audio. Not ideal but it works.
No, there are no content providers (that I'm aware of) that have implemented frame rate switching in there apps.
Same issue applies to 60hz. If Netflix etc are using /1.001 rates, then they can't maintain a continuous 3-2 pattern. So do they or not? Or maybe they can send either rate depending on the device?
I'm looking at the wetek hub, does the extra 1 gb of ram in the play2 make a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost? Oh and I would assume the Play2 works with 23.976 correct?
I would strongly recommend the unofficial Android TV ROM for the Hub if you are going anywhere near Netflix or using Kodi Krypton. Regular Marshmallow Firmware & Kodi Krypton has issues.

As I said LibreELEC is better for Kodi anyways.

2GB sometimes makes a small difference when switching between Apps. They are a wee bit quicker to start.
An extra 1GB makes no difference at all when running LibreELEC, as that only needs approx. 250MB. It's very lean and mean.

For the Play2, I don't know of the status of Kodi Krypton 23.976 since Amcodec Hardware acceleration was removed. Kodi Jarvis with Amcodec definitely does 23.976fps output.