Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: flickering black screen when installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so i just tried to install the newest version of kodi 17 since 16 wasn't going to work anymore on to my amazon firestick, it is a new stick, but few seconds after the app opens the screen flickers off to a black screen for a few seconds and then back on for a few seconds. It does this constantly while im actually on the app but when i get off the app say i go to the home screen of the firestick it might do it once but then stops and the firestick acts normally. Ive tried a few different ways to download it first with es file explorer but the same results happened and then i deleted it after seeing a post about bad adware coming from es, then i used the Downloader app and followed multiple videos step by step but still the flickering screen. i haven't seen any other posts dealing with this problem. can anyone help me? ive been using kodi for over a year now with no problems then when i tried to update it i cant even use it!
Hey, Im having the same issue, got the Amazon firestick as a christmas gift, it is a new stick, I went to load up kodi 17.6 on downloader, took a while to download finally the app opens the kodi screen boots, then flickers off to a black screen for a few seconds and then back on for a few seconds to kodi screen and back to the black screen. It does this constantly while i'm actually in the app but when i get off the app say i go to the home screen of the firestick it might do it once but then stops and the firestick acts normally. I've searched the internet, and nothing is described quite the same way. Were you able to resolve the issue ? Did anybody have a solution to this problem ?
Not without a debug log (wiki)
Try changing resolution on Kodi app
to 1080p or which ever resolution
is on your TV so it must match.
1) Go to Kodi app 2) settings 3) system settings 4) Display 5) Resolution
I had same problem
now my tv don’t blink anymore.
Hi I am having this exact problem and I can’t fogure it out!! This is my 3rd TV with the firestick and the other 2 work beautifully. Did anyone figure out a solution to this above problem? I tried changing the resolution but it only gives me 2 choices and the flickering doesn’t stop on either. Please help!
Can anyone help me?
(2018-06-24, 17:16)crawas Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone help me?
 Can you read? Debug Log
I’m lost. You’re talking to me? When did you ask me for a debug log? How do I do that?
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Ok Thank You. I’ll do that when I get home.
I had issues with Kodi 17.6 on my Amazon Fire Stick 4K.  The issue is the hardware acceleration in the Kodi app needs to be turned off.  There are very good videos on youtube on how to turn off hardware acceleration in Kodi 17.  I have also contacted Amazon's developer forum to update their knowledge base on this issue.
Turning Off hw acceleration on such toy devices will render them useless as they don't have enough CPU to decode videos when Mediacodec (Surface) is not used.
(2018-11-03, 19:48)AtDepth Wrote: [ -> ]I had issues with Kodi 17.6 on my Amazon Fire Stick 4K.  The issue is the hardware acceleration in the Kodi app needs to be turned off.  There are very good videos on youtube on how to turn off hardware acceleration in Kodi 17.  I have also contacted Amazon's developer forum to update their knowledge base on this issue.
 Also stop watching that crap on youtube as most of them are complete morons and don't know what they are talking about