Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Years in album.nfo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question about how album.nfo files work:

What happens if the .nfo file for an album lists a year that is different than the tags in the individual song files? Would Kodi prefer the .nfo value when sorting albums by year? How would smart playlists based on year be affected?

My files are ALAC, which I believe only support the standard "year" tags. So for the benefit of my smart playlists, I have stuck to tagging individual songs by year, rather than going by album release year. This works out well when I want to hear music from the '90s, without having stuff from the Forrest Gump soundtrack show up. But I'd love it if Kodi could actually treat that album like it was released in 1994, for the purposes of album sorting, or displaying the year next to the album title in music visualizations.

So while a typical "now playing" screen currently looks like this:

Elvis Presley
Forrest Gump [1956]
1. Hound Dog

I'd prefer it to display the year as 1994 (possibly via .nfo file?), while that specific song could still show up on an "oldies" smart playlist with songs from the '50s.

Could I accomplish this through clever manipulation of album.nfo files? Or is it just a limitation of my chosen file format that I'll have to live with?
Moved to Music forum
I don't think currently there is a musicplayer infolabel to return the album year that's in the database.

scott s.
First of all let me say that I understand what you want to do, and "music dates" this is yet another area I am working on to improve. See https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313952

But where we are now...

(2017-06-08, 20:12)Busta Uppa Wrote: [ -> ]Question about how album.nfo files work:

What happens if the .nfo file for an album lists a year that is different than the tags in the individual song files? Would Kodi prefer the .nfo value when sorting albums by year? How would smart playlists based on year be affected?
A year is stored for an album and there is a listitem info lable for it, so it can appear on the album info dialog, and the albums node.

Initially this is populated from the tag data of the first song on the album (if there is a date tag of some kind - see post), but it is a value that can be subsequently scraped from NFO or online sources. However unless "Prefer online info" setting is enabled, any value derived from tags will be kept.

But say that you have scraped the album.nfo such that although the songs year = 2006 (from tags), the album year is 1990. The albums node when sorting by year will show 1990, and position the album there.

But if you use the years node and select 1990 then you will hit a problem. The album will be listed, but node criteria are passed downwards, so clicking on that album (or on *All) to show songs will not show any songs because none of them are 1990.

Smart playlists and rule type custom nodes behave differently, the filter criteria are not passed down, hence id you create an albums type playlist with rule year = 1990, then you will see that album, and when you click on it you will see all the songs.

The year shown on the OSD during playback ("now playing" screen) is the song year taken from tags. As Scott says the musicplayer does not have an album year info label, it is not possible currently for skins to show the album date.

Oh and remember to post music related questions on this subforum. Smile
I went and shared my thoughts in that other thread, DaveBlake - thank you for referring me to it!

Thanks for the explanation and I look forward to the improvements on the way for v18! Appreciate the hard work. And yes I will make a point to post music related questions on this subforum! I use Kodi almost exclusively for music, so that will make sense Tongue

So based on your post I see the limitations of having a unique year in an album.nfo . I may still experiment with it though, since using the "year node" would be a fairly edge case for me.
If I create a mostly bare.nfo file (eg. only include a year and text description), Kodi will still look elsewhere for tracks/art/etc., right? Or is it necessary to be rather comprehensive in .nfo creation?
(2017-06-09, 21:08)Busta Uppa Wrote: [ -> ]If I create a mostly bare.nfo file (eg. only include a year and text description), Kodi will still look elsewhere for tracks/art/etc., right? Or is it necessary to be rather comprehensive in .nfo creation?
The extistence of an NFO takes prescidence over online scraping, and unless the NFO contains a direct url entry then online scraping does not take place. If there is a direct url entry then, as far as I can tell, the online values are fetched from that url, and then any other values form the NFO are combined, but I have not tested that myself to know the results.

So I think you will need to be comprehensive with the info in the NFO. On approach is to scrape online first, export the library creating album NFO files, and then edit those.

But I would add that the track data is a waste of time, so don't worry about it. In v17 and below scraped album track data is shown on the album dialog, but it has no connection with the songs that you actually have in the library. In v18 this display will be replaced with the actual songs that you have, and <track> fields in NFO ignored.

Remember title, genre, year, label, compilation flag, and Musicbrainz Album ID are initially derrived from tags and only blank vaues will get scraped unless "Prefer online info" is enabled.