Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Interlaced video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As recommended I have upgraded from 16.1 to 17.3. I like the new interface and look but the media player isn't working correctly. Interlaced video, both local and streamed (BBC1), seems to be displaying only one field thus halving the resolution. 16.1 was fine, other media players (mx and vlc) are ok.

Any thoughts anyone please? Thanks.
Which Box and what Chipset ?

Which PVR viewing Client is being used ?

Reason we ask is this is a known problem with TvHeadend and Android Kodi Krypton on all Android platforms.

Use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton if you have an AMlogic S8xx or S9xx device.
Sorry for the lack of info, I'm rather new to this.

It is an android 6 box, as it starts it makes a big fuss about being an X96.

The live streams I mentioned are legit internet streams, I don't have a tv headend.

Are there any other options for this hardware?

Thanks.
(2017-06-12, 18:20)floatingshed Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the lack of info, I'm rather new to this.

It is an android 6 box, as it starts it makes a big fuss about being an X96.

The live streams I mentioned are legit internet streams, I don't have a tv headend.

Are there any other options for this hardware?

Thanks.

Where are you streaming BBC1 from that is a legit internet stream if not the BBC iPlayer add-on?

Provide a link to your Debug log (wiki) to shed some light on the issue.
I am using bbc iplayer but that is irrelevant. The issue is kodi media player not handling interlaced video correctly.
I am not experiencing errors as such...
When some one asks for a Debug log you don't need to be experiencing errors, you just need to provide the Debug log. That's the only way to see what might be wrong.

However, this is a known issue with Kodi on Android and you can either try v18 nightlies or try the "notsoshitty" build from here http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/arm/. Just look for "notsoshitty" in the name.
Thanks for the suggesions. I tried the latest nightly and the notsoshitty but both have rhe same interlacing problem plus the video quality of the nightly was awful.

Looks like its spmc for me.
Android, reliable deinterlacing and Krypton, especially in markets with 25fps Interlaced content should not be used in the same sentence on any Android platform.

You are only going to go around in circles trying to get any Kodi Krypton and deinterlacing working on AMLogic platforms. Give up now.

Deinterlacing will work with SPMC but only if Amcodec hardware acceleration is still present and working in AMLogic Android Firmware.

Use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
I am willing to try but I don't understand what LibreELEC is. I googled it and followed your signature links but none of it seems particularly entry level.
Where can I get an apk for LibreELEC Kodi Krypton?
Thanks.
Having decided that I like the look and feel of Kodi 17.3 maybe I should consider buying new hardware, can you suggest something that will give me the interlacing options I need?
Thanks.
We don't even know which Android device you are trying to sort this problem out with or the Chipset it uses ?

Stay away from Android Kodi Krypton for Interlaced anything. On cheap AMLogic Android Lollipop or earlier devices you have to stick with Android Kodi Jarvis or expect lots of problems. There is NO Amcodec Hardware acceleration in Android Kodi Krypton and that is the root cause of all the Interlaced playback user issues. Amcodec is not going to be put back into Android Krypton either, that is why you must use LibreELEC if your have AMLogic Hardware.

You have fully capable hardware with the right OS running on it, but with no enthusiasm for a small bit of DIY its going to cost you. Its easier than your think if you tell us the Tech Spec of the Chipset of your Android device.

Otherwise pull out your wallet and buy a Linux Based optimised Kodi media player (originating from the UK) that will give no problems with anything you want to throw at it - that being the Vero 4K - which is Plug n Play - all video playback will be automatic without stuffing about with settings.

No Android Kodi Krypton device is going to solve your Interlaced problems.
I found an identical device on ebay, in the description it states:
Amlogic S905X Chip, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, Quad Core ARM [email protected] Processor

I am confused in post #8 you say: "Use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton."
Then in post #11: No Android Kodi Krypton device is going to solve your Interlaced problems.

Please explain in layman's terms.

Thanks.
LibreELEC is an highly optimised Operating System designed from the ground up to run Kodi as bug free as possible at speed in a stable enviroment.

The DIY LE Layman's install guide Wink

1) Go out and buy yourself a Samsung EVO, Sandisk or Lexar 300x Class 10 U1 microSDHC and its associated microSDHC to SD card adapter.

2) Download the latest S905(x) LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.2b.img.gz from HERE

3) Download the SD Card .img.gz flashing Software from HERE and Install.

4) Now in the LibreELEC USB-SD Creator App, when you get to Step (2) - Select File - point it at the LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.2b.img.gz file you just downloaded and also select the correct SD card in (4) to write to.

5) Download the correct Hardware descriptor (device tree) file:
If you have a 1GB memory device Dload this file

If you have a 2GB memory device Dload this file

6) Rename either file to dtb.img and save to the SD card - overwrite any dtb.img that may already be there.

7) Eject card from PC and power down your Android Box, insert the SD card.

8) I suspect you will need to find a toothpick, needle or pin. Identify a Tiny Reset hole on the bottom of the box, or some reset buttons are actually inside the Optical Out port. Hold that button IN with a toothpick and plug in the power cord. Wait for the LibreELEC Logo to appear onscreen.

9) Further initial startup methods are found in Step (2) HERE

That is it. Installation is all automatic. To reboot to Android, look in Kodi power menu and select "Reboot from Internal"

You will then have one of the best Kodi Krypton boxes getting about then. Smile

And if you really want to treat yourself and get extra Kodi responsiveness, use a Wireless keyboard remote like MINIX's nice A2 Lite.
Well, that all sounds very straightforward, thanks I'll give it a go.
BRILLIANT!
It works perfectly, much faster than android, interlacing is fine. Thank you very much for your help.

One more thing... Should I continue to run it from the SD card or is it possible to flash the box?
Pages: 1 2