Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Giving Up on UPnP. How should I do this?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's frustrating that Kodi bills UPnP as the easiest way to share files. I have found it's very inconsistent.

I have a Shield Tablet, an S7 Edge, and an Amazon Fire Stick. I can't tell you how suckage it is that some of these devices will find the UPnP host on windows, sometimes, and others won't at the same time.

All I want to do is watch movies from my Windows 10 machine on my other devices, especially the Fire Stick.

My last straw was the other night. I always have to switch between different Kodi's on my Windows 10 machine, just so the UPnP server can be found. One version was the Windows App version of Krypton, and the other was regular desktop version of Jarvis. One version let me browse all my movies from my Amazon FireStick, but would crash, and the other version would reach the UPnP server, but didn't have the most recent movies even though I told the server to update the library! It was spotty getting a UPnP connection in the first place as I had to run back an forth between sides of the house to restart, reboot applications, versions, the windows computer, the Fire Stick. Had to give up on movie night.

There has to be a better way. So I made my movies folder accessable on the network, but my Fire Stick Kodi wouldn't see it and my other laptop would ask for a username and password for the folder.... and I don't have a password set up!

What is a reliable and hopefully easy way of simply watching a movie? Having the library feature would be nice, but I have only ever seen it on my main computer. Here is my setup:

Amazon Fire Stick connected to Router 1 via Wifi. Identical router (Router 2) connected to Router 1 as an access point, Windows 10 connected to Router 2 via ethernet cable. The S7 and Shield Tablet can roam from either Router.

Please, and thank you.
Please see the Kodi Wiki on SMB sharing (it's what Windows uses to share files on a network).
http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows

Specifically, look at section 2.3 "Share with" method (also step 7 is very important)

Windows 10 is a little different from Windows 7, but close enough that you should be able to figure it out.