Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Brightness increase causes 100% cpu usage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I increase the brightness of a video (any video type, xvid, mpeg etc) the cpu usage goes from 30-40% to a constant 100%. Then the video will start becoming choppy and playback will suffer. Decreasing the brightness will seem to correct it after a bit of time, but usually I have to stop playback and once restarting a video with the default 50 brightness, will return to usual cpu usage.

I'm running ubuntu with nvidia binaries drivers (a geforce 6200). Do others get a performance hit from increasing brightness during playback? Any workarounds for this?
Brightness and contrast are currently implemented using the OpenGL Imaging extension which by the looks of it is taking a software path on the 6200 (possibly other GPUs as well). It will eventually be moved completely into the shader along with gamma and other color correction adjustments, at which point there will be no CPU hit.

EDIT: What is your CPU and what video resolution are you testing?
It's an intel 3.0 ghz cpu, non duo core. I was testing at 1024x768, I just tried 640x480 but same thing.

I'm curious what cards does this currently not take a software path?
Please pastbin the output of glxinfo. By video resolution I meant, of the source video (i.e. 720p/1080p etc). If you're playing low res stuff 30-40% is quite high.

EDIT: never mind, it's a known issue.
sark666 Wrote:When I increase the brightness of a video (any video type, xvid, mpeg etc) the cpu usage goes from 30-40% to a constant 100%. Then the video will start becoming choppy and playback will suffer. Decreasing the brightness will seem to correct it after a bit of time, but usually I have to stop playback and once restarting a video with the default 50 brightness, will return to usual cpu usage.

I'm running ubuntu with nvidia binaries drivers (a geforce 6200). Do others get a performance hit from increasing brightness during playback? Any workarounds for this?

This problem is still here.. http://xbmc.newsforyou.com/xbmc-linux/xb...80531.html

Confirmed by Pike2k
i have the same problem, i'm using a daily svn build and when i try to change brightness and contrast fps drop down at about 19-20 fps with a lot of dropped frames (disabling vsync doesn't help)

I'm running an updated hardy heron x86_64 with nvidia 6600gt card and latest driver (from envyng) but i run xbmc in a 32bit chroot (with nvidia drivers installed even there). I choose the chroot because i prefer running 32 bit applications in a chroot environment