Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pi Case with Button
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read about that it is a problem to switch a Pi on and off because there is no button. Right?

It was in context of this case which has a button.
http://de.farnell.com/element14/pi-deskt...dp/2687142

the question is are there more Pi cases which offer on/off buttons?
Why power the Pi off?
It probably uses less power than your TV does when it's on standby.
You can power a pi off in the command line... but it never really turns off it just sits there idle, and you have to disconnect power to get it to boot back up. Basically as said above, you don't ever turn them off. It's pulling about a watt, which is maybe 60 cents a year in power.
My TV never runs on stand-by.

There is no access to a shell when using it as a "media center".

How does the case with the power button I mentioned work then?
You might be interested in this, which I think works with some of their cases.

Maybe do them a mail via their site and ask that to be sure.
(2017-06-22, 16:00)MoonKid Wrote: [ -> ]My TV never runs on stand-by.
really? you turn it off at the wall?
Quote:There is no access to a shell when using it as a "media center".
of course there is, it's called ssh.
(2017-06-22, 21:47)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]really? you turn it off at the wall?

This. My TV is never really 'off' unless you unplug it. For a while the YouTube app would get buggy and since 'off' was really just 'go to standby and kill the screen', turning it off didn't do anything. Only unplugging it would truely 'reboot' it.
They make a micro USB cable with a power switch built in
https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Micro-U...B00GGX94JI

The Pi 3 uses about 2.5 watts in idle which is about $3.50/yr in my area of the world.
Even if electricity would be free, the missing power button is waste of energy. I love my PIs and the open source idea behind them and I'm not a tree hugger, but this design flaw gives me headache. Only a few people need their pi 24/7, about 90% of the time it wastes energy.

In europe, most devices must have a standby consumption of 1W or less. I have bought a remote pi board with a wattage of 0.6W in standby. With 12.000.000 sold PIs and a wattage of 2.5W when idling, we would have a waste of 20,52 MW ((2.5W-0.6W)*12.000.000*90%). OK, thats only a very small power plant that runs exclusively for all PIs worldwide, but I hope more people care about cases with power buttons or cables with power switch, ...
Aside from the Power button discussion, it is a nice looking box Smile
The shim pointed to by @DarrenHill looks pretty good, and cable with a switch has the beauty of simplicity.

My pis are generally used for 'infrastructure', one dhcp/dns server, one home automation controller, so they stay on 24/7.
I'm not concerned about power usage as such but i'm old school and prefer to have things OFF if possible when not in use Wink
So, +1 for the remote pi board.

I installed my Remote Pi board along with my RPi-3 into a case i had lying around which i modded.
The mod was simple using a sharp knife, a file and a couple of drills to allow it all to fit together giving me a nice button on top of the case Big Grin
Should you be less inclined, msldigital sell an acrylic case suited to their remote pi board which doesn't cost too much.

Now it's simple for me to turn the RPi ON or OFF using my IR/BT Sony remote Tongue
Looked good @skylarking until I saw the 20 Euro pricetag.
Agreed.
Remote Pi Borad is overpriced but it works well.

As is, i can turn on my RPi with one IR button (and RPi turns on my AMP and TV thanks to CEC).
I then use bluetooth buttons on my Sony PS3 IR/BT remote to control the RPi without worrying about line of sight.
The same Sony PS3 IR/BT remotes IR buttons are used to control AMP volume.
Works flawlessly with only issue being a need to re-pair BT remote to Kodi after batteries are replaced.

Turning off the TV also turns off other components (RPi & AMP).
Turning off RPi also turns off AMP but leaves TV on (as i've set it).

{
If only more TV/AMP/etc manufacturers would embrace customizable CEC behaviour (like the RPi) as well as combo BT/IR control capabilities.

If the RPi foundation would make a variant of the RPi that is more htpc focused (not slice) i'd be happy as a pig in mud.
That is, include RTC as well as the features of the remote Pi board while altering the form factor a little by placing all the connectors on the rear.
Oh, and bundliing licenses in the sale price.
Such changes would not alter the RPi costs much (it would be a lot lot less than 20Euro more than the standard RPi).

Sadly there seems to be little to no interest in such Confused
}