Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Windows Network SMB" and Windows 10 insider Preview Build 16226 Problem!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is anyone having issues with "Windows Network SMB" in Kodi 17.3 running on Windows 10 insider Preview Build 16226?

On all my computers that are running Windows 10 insider Preview Build 16226 Kodi can not find any of my computer shares when using "Windows Network SMB". It just comes up blank.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Most probably to do with this http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mic...view-build

However it was my belief that the SMB v1 server component would only be removed if not used or if a clean build is done.
(2017-06-23, 12:24)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Most probably to do with this http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mic...view-build

However it was my belief that the SMB v1 server component would only be removed if not used or if a clean build is done.

So are you saying you must have SMB 1.0 enabled for Windows Network SMB to work in Kodi?

What about SMB 2.0?

I have been reading all over the place that SMB 1.0 is very old and a big security risk and it is recommended that everyone should disable it and that is also why Microsoft is finally removing it from windows 10.
It's possible to reinstall the SMB1 server. Type "Windows Features" in the start menu and use the dialog that pops up to reinstall the server portion. I've tried it an it works with Kodi SMB.
(2017-06-23, 20:41)gate1975mlm Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-06-23, 12:24)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Most probably to do with this http://www.eweek.com/enterprise-apps/mic...view-build

So are you saying you must have SMB 1.0 enabled for Windows Network SMB to work in Kodi?

What about SMB 2.0?

I have been reading all over the place that SMB 1.0 is very old and a big security risk and it is recommended that everyone should disable it and that is also why Microsoft is finally removing it from windows 10.

What server are you using? You should be able to use SMB 2.x or 3.x depending on your server and it's configuration.

Do not enable SMB 1.0. It's old, it's insecure and not so performant/resilient as SMB 2.x or 3.x.

What about SMB 2.0?

You've misunderstood.

I was wondering if maybe your shares were setup to use SMB v1? in which case you would be using the SMB v1 server function that Microsoft has removed as being included by default in Build 16226, however the information I've read has said this should only affect new installs of Windows 10 and any upgrade installs with the SMC v1 server already included shouldn't be affected. I was therefore wondering if something was happening contray to what I've read and that an existing SMB v1 share is being affected by the changes.

If however you don't use SMB v1 for your shares then this change should definitely have not affect for you.

Is the problem you are seeing only when browsing for a SMB share? are you able to manually add the share via "Add network location"?
If you are running shares from Windows Server 2000, Vista and down.... chances are you are running SMB v1... I recall windows moving to SMB v2 for Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 and up.

I also run SMB shares, and plan on building a new Kodi HTPC using Windows 10... I suggest you use a stable OS base, insider preview is another way of saying "BETA".
(2017-06-26, 14:43)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]

What about SMB 2.0?

You've misunderstood.

I was wondering if maybe your shares were setup to use SMB v1? in which case you would be using the SMB v1 server function that Microsoft has removed as being included by default in Build 16226, however the information I've read has said this should only affect new installs of Windows 10 and any upgrade installs with the SMC v1 server already included shouldn't be affected. I was therefore wondering if something was happening contray to what I've read and that an existing SMB v1 share is being affected by the changes.

If however you don't use SMB v1 for your shares then this change should definitely have not affect for you.

Is the problem you are seeing only when browsing for a SMB share? are you able to manually add the share via "Add network location"?

I disabled smb 1.0 because it's old and not safe to be using anymore and I do not plan on using it again. However Kodi was having trouble finding any shares even before I disabled smb 1.0 on my Windows 10 PC's. Also yes browsing for shares comes up empty but if I enter all the shares manually Kodi has no problems finding them that way. For some reason Kodi will just not for a pretty long time now find any smb shares "automatically when browsing for them".

I mean luckily I can just enter all of tyhe computer shares manually but it would be nice if the browsing worked I guess there is no easy fox for this?

I had this problem with Windows 10 creators update and now again with the insider preview builds.
(2017-06-25, 21:41)anthonws Wrote: [ -> ]

What about SMB 2.0?

What server are you using? You should be able to use SMB 2.x or 3.x depending on your server and it's configuration.

Do not enable SMB 1.0. It's old, it's insecure and not so performant/resilient as SMB 2.x or 3.x.

I am not sure what you mean by what server I am using?

I am just sharing folders on Windows 10 PC's.

I disabled smb 1.0 so I guess that means my computers are now using smb 2.0?