Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.3 wont launch.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HI,
Hope theres someone out there who can help me with this, searched the internet and youtube but no joy.

I have been running version 16.1 (i think) for about a year on my firestick and had no problems, recently with the security issues i decided to upgrade to the 17.3.

The problem is i cant get it to launch, The page comes up saying kodi is starting for the first time, the progress bar goes to the end, screen goes black and then goes back to the launch page. (the page where the options for launch, force stop, clear data and clear cache is on).
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling approx 5 times, restarting firestick after every attempt at launch, force stop and clear cache.
The version i have downloaded is the android ARMV7A(32BIT), downloads and installs as it should.
When it initially gives me the option to start/run after i have first downloaded the same error occurs except it takes me to the downloader page with a box open with this inside.

Download
File downloaded successfully to:
/sdcard/Downloader/kodi-17/3-Krypton-armeabi-
v7a(4).apk
(with the options of :- Install, Delete, Done)

I have tried installing (which it had already done) and Done.whichever one i choose makes no difference.
Coming out of the downloader page, onto the homepage, across the top to settings, apps, manage installed apps, kodi and launch but no joy.

Any ideas, any help would be much appreciated.
debug log (wiki)
How, i cant get Kodi to launch. to debug.
Go into Android Settings > Apps > Kodi and delete cache if that doesn't work go back and delete data, but be warned this will delete all your userdata
yeah thanks i have tried it a few times, deleting cache, force stop, deleting data, uninstalled, reinstalled, no joy. deleted cache and data again uninstalled numerous times, set firestick back to factory settings, reinstalled still no luck
If you read the wiki pages I referred you to you'll see how to turn debugging on in advancedsettings.xml.
Hi yeah read them but struggling abit.

From what i understand i need to create a advancedsettings .xml file in userdata.
So i opened ES file explorer, opened logger, in there was a file sent by userdata clicked onto this, at the top of the screen was some headings android>date>org.xbmc.kodi>files>.kodi>userdata. At the bottom i clicked on new and created the new xml file.
Now i opened this file clicked on the 3 dots at upper right hand corner and clicked on edit.
into this file what do i type <loglevel>1</loglevel> is this right? if not what goes in there? on the wiki page it shows three lines of text but i dont know how to put three lines in as no "enter" option.
Thanks for your help noticed your doing your best for a few of us with the same problems.
<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Save and start Kodi. Post the resultant kodi.log to a paste site like pastebin, and provide the link here.
Hi thanks for the reply.

I cant input :

<advancedsettings>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

As i can only input on one line, i dont have an ENTER option. Sorry if this sounds daft but cant see how i can do it. Where would i find the resultant log to copy to pastebin after trying to start kodi?

thanks
Just write it as one line, xml does not require line endings.

Or get a better editor, or install hacker keyboard.
brilliant thanks,where will the log be found in advanced settings folder?
Hi there,

I'm having the same problem with Kodi. I upgraded to 17.3 last weekend and it worked fine for the first day but now its always preparing for its first run and then black screens out to the firestick home screen.
I've tried clearing the cache and restarting a few times and I cleared the data with no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and have the same problem still.

You have lost me about turning on a debug log though.

Any other advice on how to fix it or what the cause is?

Thanks Smile
Have had exact same issues as socks above on my FireTV2. Only fix I have found to work was resetting the FireTV back to factory stock & then installing Kodi again.
Thanks tried them locations
local>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi
storage>emulated>0>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi.
data>sdcard>android>data>org.xbmc.kodi.

First two got to org.xbmc.kodi and came up as file empty.
Last one opened data and came up as file empty.