Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.3 on Raspbian does not show large photos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running KODI 17.3 on Raspian, the only functionality is to show the slideshow on a DIY pictureframe.
Unfortunately it does not show large images (> 1MB), looks like it is a performance issue, the screen remains black. Also it does not show a single photo without slideshow mode.
I have tried Raspberry Pi 2 and 3, network mounted folders and local folders also wired and wireless network. Also changed SD cards and made several fresh installations, recently also a new version of Raspbian, all without any change.
Smaller, 10 years old photos are shown without any problem.
KODI 17.1 running on Libreelec does NOT have this problem. However I need to control the backlight of my picture frame over the PWM signal from GPIO by Wiringpi and unfortunately this is not supported by Libreelec -> so I need to run KODI on Raspbian.

Any Idea why KODI 17.3 on Raspbian is not able to show simple jpg slideshow and not even a single jpg photo if it is larger than 1MB?

Any workround possible?

Should I try KODI 17.1 (which works on libreelec) on Raspbian? How can I install older one as I have installed 17.3 by "sudo get-apt install kodi".

I really don't want to run two separate Pi's behind my picture frame, one showing photos on libreelec and other controlling the backlight on raspbian.
Now installed Raspbian lite without Pixel desktop.
KODI 17.3 on top of that. (apt-get install kodi)

Now EXACTLY every second jpg photo will be shown in the slideshow showing a black screen between them.

If I open the photo manually without slideshow, then sometimes I get a black screen and second or third time I am pressing enter I get the photo opened.

Even the Pi zero should be able to play Full HD videos and now I am struggling with simple jpg photos.
Debug log (wiki)
Here we go with log: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24950939/

It was in slideshow mode during logging. Only few photos were shown during 10 minute test run.
All the remaining time the screen was black. I started the same slideshow second time and I noticed that the visible photos were mostly the same. All others did produce black screen.
You need to allocate more video memory in config.txt.
Thank you - increasing GPU memory solved the problem.
Maybe it would be helpful for others to mention that here as well: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...i#Raspbian
I spent days for troubleshooting however I am pretty newbie.
Hmm I thought it was documented, but I'll fix that on the wiki.
Your video memory should be increased to resolve this.

@Karellen- Link removed. Advertising link.