Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot populate LAN Media in Kodi 17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This will sound like the dumbest question ever, but I simply cannot get my Video Library to populate from my LG NAS (supports DLNA, NFS and UPNP). I've searched everywhere and Kodi seems to be fighting me, I've done the following:

1. Enter Files Section
2. Add Videos > Browse
3. Selected UPnP devices
4. (Successfully) located my media Server and selected the path to my Movies (clicked OK)
5. Entered a name for this media source (clicked OK)
6. Then the SOURCE appears.

While I am able to select the source, choose a movie from the list, and it PLAYS fine... My "Library" remains empty.

It's my understanding Kodi is supposed to PROMPT me to designate what TYPE OF FILES they are... It doesn't. I've tried toggling all the UPnP options in Settings, turning on Airplay, "Update Library" from the side menu... Even reindexing the entire NAS (from it's webmenu).

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Thanks,
Chris.

edit: I should mention I am running Kodi 17.3, on Android OS 5.1.1
Hello thethomasboy and welcome,

No, not quite the dumbest... but.. Smile

The steps you listed look correct.

My only question is why UPnP? It seems to cause a lot of people grief. Why not bypass the Media Server and use SMB? Kodi works best when it has direct access to the content, and not via some middle man.
Agree with @Karellen
Better to set up without upnp
Go to (i think through Files) to AddNetworkLocation. There you can define connection type address and credentials to log in to your media lib from kodi
Using that, you can set up your media sources.
Depending on the protocol you use, you could even connect your kodi box from anywhere outside your home network and still watch all the movies in ur lib
Thank you both for the replies... I can certainly try to set up SMB.

Perhaps it's because I've used Apple products for over 20 years, I've never had to deal with in-depth setups. I'm sure I can research how to setup my NAS for SMB.

On a SIDE NOTE... I was quite happy with my v15 using the FTV skin, customizing the home screen with new episodes from trakt lists, etc.

I'm struggling with the new Estuary Default skin, and can't seem to customize the "nodes" and submenus in the same way. Can you point me towards either:
1. A better skin for v17 that has a customizable homescreen (allowing me to fully customize the home menu, and add widgets that auto-populate with new episodes.)
2. A tutorial that digs into v17 Estuary skin, explaining how to fully customize the home screen to do the same.

Thanks again, Chris.
Is this the same fTV skin you mention. There is a Krypton version going by the link in Post #1
After giving it a name and pressing OK, did you then tell kodi what that source contains, and which scraper to use in the next box? It's factory set to "None", and needs altering to "Movies" or "Music" etc