Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Access remote library videos and documents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've a large amount of training materials , videos and documents (PDFs mostly) in a linux (ubuntu) dedicated server. I want to use kodi to view the videos (without downloading them), they are in multiple formats like mp4, ts , mpeg ..
I'm very new to Kodi and video streaming stuffs.
What kind of libraries (if any) I should install on the remote server so Kodi can access and view the material? (It would be perfect if it can show directories / different files types and I click and it plays it Smile .. just like my computer file explorer)
Kodi goes way beyond the ancient directory views. You will browse while viewing movie posters, movie art, actor thumbs etc etc
All you need on ur media server is a protocol to access it. FTP and webdav are examples that allow u to access your library even from outside your lan
Inside your lan, nfs etc will do. Just browse the forum. Loads of how-tos here
@hugzzz

nothing to say against what @mchp92 said. The only thing which won´t work for you (if those videos are training videos) are the movie posters and fanart. As those infos need to be scraped from a website in referrence to the movie-/filename. As your training videos won´t be listed at those websites there is no info to scrape and therefore no artwork or fanart.

You either need to use the file view or create your own NFO files. the latter might be a bit of overkill for just some training videos. But if you would like to spend the time:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Nfo

Before that you have to set up shared sources from your server. So, as it has already been said...if your server is on your LAN, SMB or NFS shares will work well. Read:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Set_content_and_scan

You are able to select "Local file information only" for the content. So Kodi won´t try to scan online for informatoins.