Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android - Kodi 17.3 stutter/framedrop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys..

I have an issue with my kodi install. I have been running it from an Android box and it has been running awesome. Unfortunatly after upgrading to v17.x I have been experiencing major issues with everything I've been throwing at it, which is generally only ISO or h264 files. Everything looks a bit like a bad stop motion movie, and it's bugging the life out of me. I was asked to provide a debug log file, but when I try that the FPS simply drops to 0.2 FPS and I can't communicate with the damned box. I've had to do a hard reset on the box, and I can't find the log afterwards. Not sure what my options are other than going back to Jarvis which was running perfectly.

The box is one of those annoying chinese box's comming with shitload of plugins which I have never used for anything, and generally just have uninstalled as many as I could. It's running Android 5.1 and should have enough power to do whatever I throw at it when it comes to this. I've been trying to play, but 17.x seems kinda buggy on Android. It runs just fine on my macmini in my basement workshop which is an old core2duo based one.

Hope for some pointers from someone, if not I'll have to drop back to Jarvis.

m0rbid
Known issue using the combo you have because in Krypton, Amcodec Hardware acceleration has been removed and now you are left with Mediacodec only which is pretty poor with AMLogic Android Lollipop.

if you want smooth Krypton playback, install LibreELEC Kodi Krypton to a microSDHC card.
See the LibreELEC AMLogic Sub Forum for an image for whatever AML chipset you are using.

You will very likely never want to use Android Kodi ever again after using LibreELEC. Wink

BTW: Kodi 17.3 runs nicely indeed on bug busted AMLogic Marshmallow Firmware from MINIX and WeTek.
It's not Kodi that is the problem but device Firmware.
Ok that makes sense. I was thinking that it could be some hardware acceleration could be the issue here. What I don't get is why remove it at all? I suspect there's quite a few people out there using something similar to my setup.

The issue about using LibreELEC would be that I'm also using the Android platform on the box for other stuff on my tv (which is an old Panasonic P42g20e without a load of smart function), and having LibreElec would keep me from using stuff like my tv providers app to watch tv from their archive.. Any signs of Amcodec Hardware acceleration being added to Kodi again or am I stuck for good here?

I know the box producent is like most cheap phone and wont receive much in upgrading and a firmware upgrade for that is propably not going to happen unless I find some custom ROM someplace that fixes everything, question is where do I find that.

Maybe Jarvis is the way to go for now..

m0rbid
Hint - LibreELEC Kodi can be run entirely from a SD card and dual boot into the still intact Android OS. Wink
LE also still has Amcodec hardware acceleration.

Ahhh young Padwan the commonly asked Why Why Why Team Kodi - did you drop Amcodec Android question ?.... see....

Welcome to Android MediaCodec standards
Yeah ok that makes sense. If the implementation of weird standards can't be done easily/automatic by people doing this development in their spare time. Pretty much sucks to be me then Wink

The issue with dualbooting is this has to have some "wife and kids friendly" standard as well and dual booting might be applying a bit much tech stuff in their life.Question could then be.. should I get a new box (and which would that be) or should I just go Jarvis and get stuck on old obsolete but working version of Kodi.

Bloody annoying when spending a load of time setting stuff up properly only to find that maybe I shouldn't just have pressed the update button...
If your Wife and Kodi are familiar with Kodi's Power button menu they should be able to easily reboot into internal Android when they want.

There is an added option in that power menu when using LibreELEC Kodi called "Reboot to Internal".

It's all automatic from there. No need to even leave the couch. Smile

Just get a microSDHC card and try LE out. If not happy then buy new hardware.
Ok that might work then. I'll give it a go later today I suspect.

Out of curiosity, do You know of any list of Kodi box's that are kept properly up to date and would work? I currently own a MINIX and a MXiii 4k.
Working, smooth video playback - Android Kodi Krypton with Kodi dynamic refresh switching and all the Firmware IEC Audio bells and whistles needed for Krypton Audio Passthrough:

nVIDIA Shield ->> the King of Android TV

MINIX U9 ->> the fastest regular Android tablet OS Marshmallow device.

WeTek Hub & Play2 ->> really easy to dual boot on these devices, plus choose whatever OS you want with a bit of simply DIY
- regular Android MM, Android TV or LibreELEC Krypton.

Note: for legacy video codecs like VC-1, mpeg2 mpeg4 on AMLogic devices, far better support is found with LibreELEC or OSMC Kodi Krypton.

Not sure how well Android Kodi Krypton (with Mediacodec only hardware acceleration) works on a MINIX U1 with Android Lollipop Firmware.
Is this the MINIX you have - the S905 U1 ?
If so definitely put (U1)LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on to a SD card - you will have a real kick ass Kodi Krypton then ! Smile

MINIX X8-H Plus LibreELEC

The best implementations of 4K Kodi Krypton only for (non HDR) video playback are the HDMI 2.0 - S905(x) LibreELEC / OSMC devices:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options
The Shield is a fair bit pricey for my liking compared to what the other Android box's I got. But I guess that the price that comes with knowing exactly what hardware you get, and not getting whatever was cheapest at the time. Unfortunatly that leaves a load of people behind it seems since I went for a cheaper android box, since my server in the basement was pricey enough Wink

The MINIX I got is a MINIX MX with the 905 chipset. Runs decently enough and seems like I never got around to upgrading it to 17.3 so it's still running Jarvis and is not being used much as it's just for watching movies in my bedroom.

I currently have downgraded to Jarvis for now, tho I did buy a microSD card while at the shop today. If I have time for it I might head to the basement and prepare the card for LibreELEC and then play a bit around with it to check how I like it and if it will suit my needs.

I suspect I might look into updating my hardware sometime and then leaving the old box's at my parents place with a hdd so they can watch a movie as well on occasion.
If you buy another cheap Android box with poor Firmware you are going to run into problems again. And the cycle will repeat itself.

You already have fully capable hardware, all you need is decent Firmware and a bug busted Kodi Krypton optimised for AMLogic S905 Hardware.

LibreELEC Kodi Krypton provides all that. In fact this combo is about the best 4K Krypton implementation out there. Better than any Android Kodi Running on any Android Hardware you care to use.
I know You're right and I might look into this when I have time for it, but right now I needed a fairly fast solution for this which was backtracking to 16.1.
If I upgraded to new hardware it wouldn't make sense to buy another cheap box, but rather find something better.
Hi,

My device is Minix X8-H plus, currently uses Kodi krypton 17.5, and almost all my 1080p MKV files stutter when played.
When I play the same MKV file from "XBMC for Minix", which is not a kodi 17, there is no stutter at all.

Are you suggesting that by using LibreElec Kodi Krypton on my device, this video stutter would be gone?
I wanted to try how it goes before deciding to totally erase android os in my Minix, however I have difficulty finding guide on how to run LibreElec entirely from SD Card.
Care to give some hints howto ?

this is the link I am going to download LibreElec images from..
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2877-s...for-7-8-x/
(2017-11-12, 14:23)sultanbrunei Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

My device is Minix X8-H plus, currently uses Kodi krypton 17.5, and almost all my 1080p MKV files stutter when played.
When I play the same MKV file from "XBMC for Minix", which is not a kodi 17, there is no stutter at all.

Are you suggesting that by using LibreElec Kodi Krypton on my device, this video stutter would be gone?
I wanted to try how it goes before deciding to totally erase android os in my Minix, however I have difficulty finding guide on how to run LibreElec entirely from SD Card.
Care to give some hints howto ?

this is the link I am going to download LibreElec images from..
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2877-s...for-7-8-x/

Yes LibreELEC Kodi Krypton will work better on your X8-H Plus because it still uses Amcodec Video Hardware acceleration, same as XBMC for MINIX does. Amcodec was dropped for Android Kodi Krypton.

See the LibreELEC AMLogic sub forum for all LE install help. I do not have such a device. Users over there will help if you find the right thread.