Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: FireTVStick Rev 2 - Wifi Resets Every 10 Minutes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a problem where Kodi will stop playing video streams after a short time. I thought it was a random time interviews. but it actually isn't

I have WiFi network using Mikrotik Router OS. In the OS I can log Wireless activity.

What I found was that with the Fire TV Stick Rev 2 that I have the Wifi disconnects and then reconnects every 10 minutes, It is not random but is deliberate on Amazons part because it occurs every 10 minutes without exception. All other devices that use the same Wifi SSID and AP remain up for hours.

This reset that occurs every 10 minutes does not affect the other apps like Netfilx, Hulu, and others. I'm assuming there is enough content cached that the reset is not noticeable,

Sooo.. The problem has been identified but how do I stop the Fire TV Stick from resetting the WiFi connection every 10 minutes? Access into the Firestick can be gained by the use of ADB and there should be a file that can be modified to stop this.

Who's got a clue?
Submit a debug log which captures these disconnects. Instructions are in my signature
I had done a factory reset on the Fire Stick 2. I wanted to be sure the WiFi reset still occured when nothing was added. Here is a sample of my router logs showing that the FireStick resets every 10 minutes.

Jul/01/2017 16:58:37 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 attempts to associate
Jul/01/2017 16:58:37 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 in local ACL, accept
Jul/01/2017 17:08:43 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 attempts to associate
Jul/01/2017 17:08:43 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 in local ACL, accept
Jul/01/2017 17:18:49 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 attempts to associate
Jul/01/2017 17:18:49 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 in local ACL, accept
Jul/01/2017 17:28:55 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 attempts to associate
Jul/01/2017 17:28:55 wireless,debug vap8_Tribble: 18:74:2E:05:C7:E2 in local ACL, accept

I'll reinstall Kodi and when I experience the problem in it I'll send you the Kodi Log.
We cannot assist you with your router and FireStick.

You should contact the retailer where you purchaed them from for support.
There is no issue with my router and I was not expecting you to help with any hardware issue, of which there isn't any.

I'm sharing with you the issue that exists with FireTV Stick Ver2 and using Kodi on it.

If you can not do anything to negate the affects of the WiFi reset that Amazon has put into this version then Kodi is dead working on it.
How can I do anything??

I asked you in my first post to provide a debug log, and pointed you to the instructions how to do that. Instead you give me your router log. Seriously, why would I want that?? I don't care about your router.

Provide a debug log, or don't provide one. It's upto you.
Did you see this in my post?

"I'll reinstall Kodi and when I experience the problem in it I'll send you the Kodi Log. "

I was sharing with you evidence of my hardware logging the reset every 10 minutes so you too can see the interval. I apologize if this is not useful information to you.

t would seems you are a little arrogant in your responses, sir.
Kodi does not control your network connection, it is an operating system issue. We do not support fireos.
I said I'd send a log. Here it is for your review. What you want to do about it is up to you.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/25000389/

Wifi reset was at 18:43:21, 18:53;28 and 19:03:35
Video stopped

If anyone else would like to comment and share what they know of this issue with Kodi on the New FireTVStick Rev 2, I'd like to here about it.
>19:03:40 NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio:Tonguerocess - stream stalled
>then INFO: CVideoPlayerVideo - Stillframe detected, switching to forced 30.000000 fps
>the video buffer runs out and the video stops.

Some sort of network problem, suggest wired connection or local media.
You seem to be unfamiliar with FireTVStick and you have not read my previous posts that Amazon has configured the FireTVStick Rev 2 to do a WiFi reset every 10 minutes,

This thread is not for a hardware problem. Non exists.

The problem is that Kodi does not recover from the WiFi resets that are programmed into the FireTVStick.
Netflix, Hulu and other Apps are not affected by the resets..
@theseyeng, I'll thank you for being a little more polite.

Now, where do you get the idea that Amazon programs the FTVStick to reset wifi every 10 minutes? That would be a very bizarre thing to do.

Or are you perhaps talking about DHCP renewal?
DHCP will not cause this. A DHCP lease are checked half way through the lease time. Mine is set for 7 days.

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPLea...sses-2.htm
The renewal timer, T1, is set by default to 50% of the length of the lease. When the timer goes off, the client transitions from the BOUND state to the RENEWING state.
OK well sounds like your issue is with Amazon.

I have seen some problems with Amazon's implementation of DHCP renewal. The fix for that is to disable DHCP in the Firestick and give it static manual ip address/gateway etc.

I am able to find nothing online about Amazon deliberately crippling it's devices by programming them to drop off the network every 10 minutes (or any other set interval). But if you are right, and they have, then there is nothing Kodi can do about it.
I am using Mikrotik Router OS for my firewall, wifi, L2L connections, etc. It has the ability to log whenever any wifi client attempts to connect and disconnects. The new Amazon Fire TV Stick Rev 2 that I have is disconnecting and reconnecting at a 10 minute interval without delay or exception. This would not occur if they didn't program it to do so. I have about a dozen other devices on the same SSID and AP that stay connected for hours.
Pages: 1 2