Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 17.1 capture live stream - Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Have Kodi 17.1 installed on Linux Mint 16.1.

Have setup with all australian (Sydney) "catch-up" - streaming - TV channels - all work fine.

Have VLC installed.

Have been attempting to set up VLC as an external video player with Kodi - following instructions found via Google - all are for Windows - have modified these .sh scripts to point to correct location for VLC but cant get it to load andplay stream

Anybody have this set up for Linux?

If so, please provide setup details.

Thanks
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2497678

External players (wiki) Call the text file playercorefactory.xml and stick it into ~/.kodi/userdata/
Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer">
     <filename>vlc</filename>
     <args>"{1}"</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="Playtype" filetype="mkv|mp4|avi" player="VLC"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Thanks PatK

have done as you suggested.

I assume that when I run Kodi and select a "catchup TV" channel and it plays that VLC should open and play the stream rather than the default Kodi player.

This doesnt happen.

have searched Kodi Settings and cant find anything to set output to VLC

Any additional help appreciated
Patk's suggestion will only work for the files specified - .mp4, .mkv and .avi.

May I ask - "why" - Kodi is a good player in itself. Why use VLC?
As per thread title - I want to record streaming "catch-up" TV- Thus VLC as it allows recording = Kodi doesn't

Added flv to script in case stream is in that format - Kodi still opens in default player.

thanks for reply.
debug log (wiki)
log link as requested

thanks

https://pastebin.com/TvcCyNTZ
Do you see a new menu item 'Play with'? Your log did not have debug logging turned on in settings>system>logging
Thanks PatK

have set debugging "on" - new log herewith

https://pastebin.com/0gyVCULH

No, I dont see new menu item "play with"

Still not sure what video format is being streamed, which is why I added flv to your suggested script

Thanks
The problem is you are playing a stream, not a file with a filename ending .mkv, .flv etc.

If you read the docs, you'll see there are other rules that might be more appropriate.

http://kodi.wiki/view/External_players
Did you try and right click the mouse on the play button (you should get a choice of players on a drop down), If not, then the playercorefactory.xml script will have to be changed (note: I don't run Linux in this fashion, but I'm told by a knowledgeable type, that this is do-able and it's working* I'll pass along the playecorefatory.xml below) When VLC comes alive, you will have to have the prefs in VLC recording set-up with the correct path etc. and I'm told not all add-ons streams can be captured (it's a work in progress, e.g. CBC add-on looks like it works but doesn't capture, reason unknown atm) but others do.

I forgot to mention when recording, the file doesn't appear for many seconds after starting the recording. If you start recording by clicking the Record button in VLC while the download is buffering, you will get the whole file right from the beginning. If you miss it, stop playback in VLC and start playing again, clicking the record button immediately. It will start over from the beginning.

After installing the file below, VLC should show up in a menu along with the default player when you right click on a file to play. Left clicking or pressing enter play the file as usual with the built-in player.

This file goes in <users home directory>/.kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
  <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
   <filename>/usr/bin/vlc</filename>
  <args>"{0}"</args>
  <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
  </player>
</players>
</playercorefactory>
Thanks PatK

I'll follow your advice and report back

I know that "catchup tv" can be recorded as I managed to do so in the past running Android-x86 on my PC and copying and pasting URLs. Have forgotten how I did it and I dont have Android-x86 installed anymore.

Have managed to record on Mint 17.3 buy accessing the TV Channels on-demand web site, running a program, opening "this frame" copying URL and pasting it into Chromium which has the ScreenCastify plugin which allows the easy recording of the screen ( being the streaming program in full-frame) not the best but it seems to work.
Thanks PatK

I now get the right-click menu ( DVD or VLC) and if click VLC, after a pause, kodi closs and VLC opens. However, VLC says it cant play the stream.

I'll investigate VLC settings, or perhaps your script above may need part of the 1st script re file types.

I'll keep playing with it.

Thanks
Once you have VLC open, Kodi takes a back seat after that and VLC now takes over the task you have configured, and at that point, I would suggest https://www.videolan.org/support/ would offer helpful tips.
Just as an aside tip.. I was just watching the National with the Kodi default player and accidentally pressed the "y" key. It came up with a menu of the default player or VLC so I selected VLC and pressed enter to see what happened. VLC started up and it played from the beginning. The y key doesn't do anything in VLC so it is only a one-way shortcut.