Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Skin settings no longer available after migration from Kodi 15
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm trying to fix my Kodi 15 skin to make it work with Kodi 17.
An issue I'm having is that I have a 'resources' folder with 'settings.xml' which somehow is no longer 'seen' on Kodi 17.
(Selecting my skin in the addon section displays no 'settings' button any longer.)

Somehow I assume that it is not allowed to use these settings.xml for skin settings. (I see this construction being used with all other types of addons.)

I used strings.xml which I replaces with .po files, but that does not change the effect.
Also I used to have a shortcut; "Addon.OpenSettings(skin.my_skin)" which now stalls...

Does anyone know if there are any changed requirements here?

Thanks!
Jeroen
Hi Martijn,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been reading the links you sent. And also installed some skins which somehow use specific 'skin settings'.

Though I still cannot figure out where these settings are / should be saved. The Jarvis content actually seems to say 'the skin settings now need to be saved at settings.xml' which is exactly what I did since Isengard :S
Also all 'new' skins seem to only provide images in the resources folder.

I did notice these 'new' skins contain a file 'SkinSettings.xml'. Also these files contain 'togglesettings' commands which might be usefull.
I'll dig the Kodi wiki / forum some more, can't yet find a specification of this file (need the meaning of the used id's)...

To be continued...
moving to skinning section so you can get some help
SkinSettings.xml was added for Frodo -

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1214820
I didn't think you could do this -- actually I think having a settings.xml file would be helpful. At least in the skin I've been maintaining, it always was set up so on first use it would run through a bunch of code to set the defaults for all the skin settings.

scott s.
(2017-07-18, 01:02)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't think you could do this -- actually I think having a settings.xml file would be helpful. At least in the skin I've been maintaining, it always was set up so on first use it would run through a bunch of code to set the defaults for all the skin settings.

scott s.

Yeah, I've never heard of it myself either.
Thanks again for replying!

I've used a settings.xml which was working with Isengard. But mayby I'm confused about the location of it.

My settings.xml is at:
-skin/resources/settings.xml

Contents:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<settings>
<category label="32012">
<setting label="32016" type="bool" id="fis-block" default="false"/>
<setting label="32015" type="bool" id="fis-speed" default="false"/>
</category>
</settings>

Also the skin uses its
- skin/PAL16x9/Settings.xml

But this one is just the template for settingslist (system / profiles / network / images / ...) right?

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Code:
\userdata\addon_data\SKIN_NAME\settings.xml
Found a third settings.xml indeed! (like Hitcher says); /root/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/skin.audi_rns/settings.xml

I made a CustomSettings.xml which contains these togglesettings tags:
Code:
<onclick>Skin.ToggleSetting(settingX)</onclick>
(radiobutton control).
Somehow I have to reload the skin to effect the settings.xml (not my main issue)

I'm pretty sure in python I used this before, but nothing is returned anymore :S:
Code:
settingX = str( xbmcaddon.Addon().getSetting("settingX") )

Also this does not add a thing to the settings.xml:
Code:
xbmcaddon.Addon().setSetting("settingX","true")

I've read https://alwinesch.github.io/group__pytho...addon.html there are new Bool / Int / .. types of 'get' and 'set', but python xbmcaddon does not seem to know these attributes...
I also tried to add my addonid to xbmcaddon.Addon("skin.audi_rns") which should not be needed...

So now I don't receive any errors at kodi.log, but also I can't read / write to the settings.xml...

Any suggestions / examples?

Thanks!
Kind regards,
Jeroen
You shouldn't even be trying to edit it - just use the correct method of adding any skin settings to SkinSettings.xml and/or using the 'first run' method to set any default skin settings.
(2017-07-21, 23:39)Janssuuh Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure in python I used this before, but nothing is returned anymore :S:
Code:
settingX = str( xbmcaddon.Addon().getSetting("settingX") )

Also this does not add a thing to the settings.xml:
Code:
xbmcaddon.Addon().setSetting("settingX","true")

that will get/set settings of your python addon. not the skin.

if you want to modify skin settings from a python addon, use:
Code:
xbmc.executebuiltin('Skin.ToggleSetting(settingX)')
Thanks again...

I developed my Kodi skin and added some options / settings, using python.
So actually now it is a skin and an addon in one package

The addon settings I can't use anymore, because Krypton (I asume) finds a skin is not an addon.
So the skin settings are my alternative now. The 'ToggleSetting' Ronie suggests works!!
However, there does not seem to be an equal function to Get these settings back to python..

I might need to cut my skin and its (addon) options again, but I prefered it to be one package ... (Or I could have python to open settings.xml directly and read the settings there)

@Hitcher; If I manage this to work one way or another I'll try to edit the coding to fit standards again (customsettings can be skinsettings of course)

Kind regards,
Jeroen