Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi performance on Amazon fire stick (1st gen)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I've just ordered an amazon fire stick first generation with the sole intention of installing Kodi 17 on it.
if anyone has the device, please let us know how is Kodi working on it. any lags, slow response, or any inconvenience.
I'm using Kodi on my mac pro and it is doing well. am I naive to think a fire stick would do well on such a massive media centre installed on it?
For pure Kodi use a cheap S905(X) Android box flashed to LE would offer better performance, connectivity and likely cost about the same.
(2017-07-15, 22:17)Amd92 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Kodi on my mac pro and it is doing well. am I naive to think a fire stick would do well on such a massive media centre installed on it?
You are completely in dream land if you think a Fire TV stick will handle really demanding Kodi user requirements.
In fact you are considering nearly the worst device on the market if all you want to do is run Kodi, you cannot even install Kodi directly on to it. The FireTV's come with plenty of limitations vs other devices you can use, like...

As has been already suggested, simply get a AMLogic S905 and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it.

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options

Use the FireTV Stick for (non Kodi) Android Apps only.
(2017-07-16, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-15, 22:17)Amd92 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Kodi on my mac pro and it is doing well. am I naive to think a fire stick would do well on such a massive media centre installed on it?
You are completely in dream land if you think a Fire TV stick will handle really demanding Kodi user requirements.
In fact you are considering nearly the worst device on the market if all you want to do is run Kodi, you cannot even install Kodi directly on to it. The FireTV's come with plenty of limitations vs other devices you can use, like...

As has been already suggested, simply get a AMLogic S905 and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it.

(2017-07-15, 23:41)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]For pure Kodi use a cheap S905(X) Android box flashed to LE would offer better performance, connectivity and likely cost about the same.

I've found this: https://saudi.souq.com/sa-en/mxq-pro-aml...2831707/i/

is this the device you guys are talking about? please confirm before I place the order.
Something like that, you may need to verify the wifi and/or BT chipset it uses to make sure its supported by Libreelec, though I suspect the seller may have no idea what chipset it has so you will probably have to roll the dice. Also you can never be 100% sure what those boxes contain even if someone else got one with a supported wifi chipset doesn't mean you will.
Not sure of the price conversion but I wouldn't pay more than about $35 USD for that.
(2017-07-17, 16:46)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]Something like that, you may need to verify the wifi and/or BT chipset it uses to make sure its supported by Libreelec, though I suspect the seller may have no idea what chipset it has so you will probably have to roll the dice. Also you can never be 100% sure what those boxes contain even if someone else got one with a supported wifi chipset doesn't mean you will.
Not sure of the price conversion but I wouldn't pay more than about $35 USD for that.

(2017-07-16, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

the device you guys recommended me to buy ain't worth shit. pretty cheap quality & Kodi won't install on it.
I should have sticked to an Amazon stick.

damn you both.
(2017-07-18, 15:05)Amd92 Wrote: [ -> ]the device you guys recommended me to buy ain't worth shit. pretty cheap quality & Kodi won't install on it.

damn you both.
Strange, because this:
(2017-07-17, 16:46)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]Something like that, you may need to verify the wifi and/or BT chipset it uses to make sure its supported by Libreelec, though I suspect the seller may have no idea what chipset it has so you will probably have to roll the dice. Also you can never be 100% sure what those boxes contain even if someone else got one with a supported wifi chipset doesn't mean you will.
... is absolutely spot-on.
Is it possible it's you? How did you try to install?
(2017-07-18, 15:05)Amd92 Wrote: [ -> ]the device you guys recommended me to buy ain't worth shit. pretty cheap quality & Kodi won't install on it.

damn you both.
No idea what bullshit crap you bought - is it even an AMLogic device, are we supposed to guess ?

What OS are you running ?

You are mighty short on details but full of insults for everyone. Good luck with your tinker toy media streamer.
I don't think we either suggested you try to install Kodi on that device. It was suggested to ignore the Android firmware that it comes with and the LE OS which contains Kodi.

You may want to contact the seller and ask what the procedure is for booting into the recovery menu, also take the subject of installing LE to the LE forums if that is what you are having difficulty with.