Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recommendation for USB Tuner on raspberry pi3 in New Zealand
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I am looking for suggestion on good usb tuner for pvr & recording feature on my rpi 3 here in NZ.

Anyone using it can recommend it. I want to have all the freeview HD/SD channels. Please consider the price/availability as well.

I am not a pro in linux, so complicated setup would turn me off.

If anybody can also point me somewhere to look would do as well.

Currently, I am inclined to Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD, USB2 Stick Dual DVB-T/T2/C Tuner. Though not sure if this is the good choice or not. I have looked at some Chinese ​ones as well, though not sure if it would be good or not.

Cheers
Frankly I would recommend the HD Homerun (not USB, but far better).
I haven't that particular Hauppauge tuner or any USB tuners, but I have internal tuners in my PCs. I've been very happy with them, reliable and trouble-free. I think they have a pretty good reputation and have been around for years.
No offense but too expensive for me.
(2017-07-18, 11:12)bilgepump Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't that particular Hauppauge tuner or any USB tuners, but I have internal tuners in my PCs. I've been very happy with them, reliable and trouble-free. I think they have a pretty good reputation and have been around for years.

I need to be compatible with rpi 3.
(2017-07-18, 11:13)ace310 Wrote: [ -> ]I need to be compatible with rpi 3.
I can't help with that, sorry, I don't have one.

I have used tv tuners in linux, there was a site that listed various models, what chips they used, and whether they were easily compatible, but that was many years ago, and I was using a full linux distribution. The one I had, you just had to load a particular module when you booted the kernel. (sorry if my terminology is wrong, it's ages since I "fiddled"). That site is www.linuxtv.org. There is some info re Hauppauge usb drivers, you'd need to find out whether the card you are looking at has that chip, or find out the type of chip and then look up whether it is easily usable.
hauppauge driver

I don't know what they run on the rpi 3 or whether you can just load modules (or whether you even need to any more, things might have moved on and they might be in the kernel now). You might get further info on a rpi forum/site, or a rpi user might pop in with some specific recommendation.
(2017-07-19, 01:15)bilgepump Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-07-18, 11:13)ace310 Wrote: [ -> ]I need to be compatible with rpi 3.
I can't help with that, sorry, I don't have one.

I have used tv tuners in linux, there was a site that listed various models, what chips they used, and whether they were easily compatible, but that was many years ago, and I was using a full linux distribution. The one I had, you just had to load a particular module when you booted the kernel. (sorry if my terminology is wrong, it's ages since I "fiddled"). That site is www.linuxtv.org. There is some info re Hauppauge usb drivers, you'd need to find out whether the card you are looking at has that chip, or find out the type of chip and then look up whether it is easily usable.
hauppauge driver

I don't know what they run on the rpi 3 or whether you can just load modules (or whether you even need to any more, things might have moved on and they might be in the kernel now). You might get further info on a rpi forum/site, or a rpi user might pop in with some specific recommendation.

Thanks. I have posted on Libreelec forums as well. I had checked the above site as well. I can see that the dual-tuner is partially supported, but full support is coming soon.

Posted here as well just to see if anybody else is using something with rpi.
Is NZ PAL, the same as here in Aus?

EDIT: if so, apparently cards with a rtl2832u chip work with the Rpi
(2017-07-19, 02:58)bilgepump Wrote: [ -> ]Is NZ PAL, the same as here in Aus?

EDIT: if so, apparently cards with a rtl2832u chip work with the Rpi

Not sure if it is PAL or not.
A DVB-T card is a DVB-T card. The hard part is compatibility with linux.

PAL and NTSC aren't really relevant in the digital age.

Hauppauge make good stuff. Once you have a card in mind, find the chipset and google for results.
(2017-07-19, 08:09)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]A DVB-T card is a DVB-T card. The hard part is compatibility with linux.

Oh really? Thanks, shows how up to date my tv tech knowhow is Big Grin (I've no clue how any of it works, all I know is whether it comes onto my tv set or not Big Grin

So, find an Hauppauge card with that rtl2832u chipset and you should be good to go.
(2017-07-19, 08:09)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]A DVB-T card is a DVB-T card. The hard part is compatibility with linux.

Hauppauge make good stuff. Once you have a card in mind, find the chipset and google for results.

Thanks. That's good to know. One less thing to worry about.

I searched and found that Hauppauge Hauppauge_WinTV-dualHD has partial support starting from Kernel >=4.7 first tuner only, kernel patch for both tuners. More support is likely coming soon as per one post in Libreelec forum

More info can be found at https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices
Wikipedia for Freeview NZ says that your HD is done using DVB-T rather than the newer DVB-T2 that is often used for HD channels.

To me, that would suggest that you don't need the Hauppauge dvb-t2 dual-HD tuner and could use a far cheaper no-brand dvb-t tuner instead for US$5. Search for "rtl2832 usb dvb-t". Most of them are single tuner but you could just buy two and an aerial splitter as long as your signal is strong.

I read that the Pi needs an external powered USB hub for tuners to avoid some problems.

TVHeadend software has pre-defined setup for scanning for NZ channels and is relatively easy to set-up. Mythtv is an alternative system but many people say it is too heavy to run on a Pi, depends how many channels you get.
I've used http://www.dvbsky.net/Products_T330.html think i bought it off aliexpress (i know it was cheap af maybe 20euro) works fine running LibreElec on any s905 box
Thanks guys. I do have powered hub for external hard drive so it is fine. Good idea to connect 2 tuner rather going for an expensive one.
Pages: 1 2